Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ALL Italian airports: non Schengen flights are possible / immigration available

Is this concession still in operation in Italy?

Apparently yes, this was from a group of D-reg, OO-reg and F-reg ULM from Tunis to CA06 last week, I was told it was arranged by some Italian contacts few days in advance (ULM are restricted from landing in big airports in Italy anyway)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Apr 12:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Is this concession still in operation in Italy?

Apparently it still exists for LICP. You need to email the ENAC office for Western Sicily and ask them for permission

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter: I was flying a D registered aircraft, there were no non EU nationals on board.

The issue with immigration arose because I was flying direct from Dubrovnik which is non Schengen and, apparently, a preferred route to smuggle money / drugs into the country – this came from the office manager at Lido aerodrome; he said that had I flown in via a Schengen country then only the Ministry of Finance would have turned up – apparently any foreign GA arriving from southern European countries is very suspect in Italy at the moment.

As the issue with my passport and personal details being manually copied and recklessly discarded was created by the immigration officials who, as far as I could tell, were regular police, then arriving from a Schengen country would have obviated the need for their attendance. I don’t care about people sniffing through my luggage, I’ve nothing to smuggle, but I am cautious about my name, address, date of birth and passport details being copied and then carelessly disposed of by two officers in mirrored RayBans, thinking themselves supercool, only to give the Cosa Nostra an opportunity to clone my identity…….

EDL*, Germany

This is pretty disturbing to read about.

Is there any way to escalate this to some level at which it can be investigated? I believe Italy has an AOPA which will presumably have a contact in the Italian CAA. Pointing somebody there to this thread would be sufficient…

BTW what was your aircraft reg, and were there any non EU citizens on it?

fly to Porto Roz, clear customs there and then at least you’re arriving from a country which is a signatory to the Schengen agreement…..

I can’t see how that would help because Schengen is about movement of people, not movement of goods, so it would not help against police officers looking for goods. In fact from these descriptions is looks like the police there are totally unaware of even the most basic rules of Europe and behaved as if you came from Kabul.

What would definitely work would be flying to Portoroz and taking a bus to Venice!

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Aug 21:44
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flew from Dubrovnik to Lido di Venezia earlier this year, and to organise this, all I need to do was call the airfield the day before to advise my estimated time of arrival and ensure attendance of immigration officials- that’s all. However although that was ok, the “welcome” on arrival is not something I want to repeat – not only did I have immigration waiting there for me but also officials from the ministry of finance who proceeded to empty all hand luggage out on tables to ensure we weren’t carrying contraband. The end effect it took over half an hour until they were happy that I wasn’t smuggling money or drugs into the country.

However, I wouldn’t have minded, had they done their jobs professionally – first things first, the officials from the Finance Ministry only checked my hand luggage and not my aircraft – after being checked, I could have easily returned to my plane to get stuff I hadn’t brought in in the first place. Secondly, and more serious from my point of view, was that the police checked my passport and copied the details of this – in long hand – onto a piece of paper. Ok, if they need to confirm who I am and don’t have access to the relevant database, not a problem. However once we had cleared immigration, the police and the officials buggered off, the police throwing the piece of paper with all my details and those of my passengers – date of birth, passport number, everything – into a bin; with such information it’s easy to have your identity cloned, I was extremely pissed off to find such a lash attitude to data protection.

So, my solution, for those doing the same trip – fly to Porto Roz, clear customs there and then at least you’re arriving from a country which is a signatory to the Schengen agreement…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 02 Aug 16:43
EDL*, Germany

That would have to be without me: my type of microlight is not allowed in the Swiss sky, having no type approval neither in Germany nor in U.K.
Now for once that there is a suggestion of a destination within my reach…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

you all are going to Switzerland all the time and never told me Do so next time and stop for a coffee here

What about organizing a future Euroga flyin in Switzerland / Zurich ?

@Silvaire and Jan… you all are going to Switzerland all the time and never told me Do so next time and stop for a coffee here

Thanks – I would certainly like to do that! My next trip won’t get far enough west to reach Switzerland, but I’m pretty sure another in the future will do so

Personally, I find the admonishment of someone daring to talk politics on an aviation forum quite outrageous!
One can learn an enormous amount across a vast range of subjects if one uses one’s ears and mouth in relative proportion and that learning should, to any open-minded person, come from whatever source is convenient.

Whilst we are all brought here by a common interest, it shouldn’t prevent us from discussing anything that crops up, from politics to the opposite sex (or even same sex if that’s what floats your boat!).

It is criticism in a childish and uneducated fashion, commonly known as slagging, that drives me away from any forum.

But, I digress……..

Forever learning
EGTB

Nobody in the Soviet Bloc can speak Swedish

But everyone (virtually) in Sweden can speak English!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Jul 19:36
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message