Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking to do an IR?

Is there anyone here looking to do an IR?

Either the current one which is the 50/55-hr "JAA" IR, or waiting for the "CBM" IR which might come sometime in the future.

I wonder what people think about the current versus the possible future options.

Also not many FAA IR holders are doing the IR conversion; presumably they are either waiting for a better route, or they plan to drop European IFR privileges when EASA FCL fully arrives in April 2014.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am.

I actually quite fancy the challenge of doing the current JAA IR theory, and the training. But as people have said before, a lot of the theory isnt really practical, and I dont want to punish myself having to learn and remember stuff, which in the kind of aircraft I want to fly, I just wont use. Additionally I am in the last year of finishing off an Open University degree in my spare time and I cant dedicate the time this year and next. And if I am honest, if none of my IMCr hours will really count towards the practical flying, I just dont think I can afford to do all those hours in a complex aircraft, and be able to enjoy flying mine as well. Finally, not many schools near me seem to want to teach the IR part time at weekends. Two schools I wrote to didnt bother to reply.

I had considered doing the FAA training here in the UK at Cranfield (I know someone training that way), and going to the states to do the checkride, or perhaps see if someone can sign me off here in the UK. But I just worry about the longevity of the FAA/IR in Europe so I might as well wait for the CBM IR. At the moment I fly an N reg, but in the future I may not, and would prefer to maintain just a European license.

What I am hoping is that the CBM IR will come out in the next 2 years. I am hoing that the theoretical training is just what is practically needed, and available through more outlets than just a few of the current distance learning types. I am hoing I can use at least 15 hours of my current IMC or IR(R) hours towards the new qualification. I am hoping that more local schools will embrace it and offer it at weekends (like they do the IMCr). I am also hoping that the new training material covers some of the real world tips and tricks of practical flight planning (like the things on here and your website).

Possibly, I am hoping too much though...

I'm currently doing the IR theory in preparation for doing the flight training during Q2 next year (first batch of exams on Monday - wish me luck)!

I did consider the upcoming CBM IR, because I currently have an IMC rating and about 30 hours instrument time, some of which could probably be counted towards the CBM rating. In the end, however, I decided to just get on with it, because if I wait it will be at least 2 years before I add the IR to my licence. The other factor was that the exam syllabus will be changing for the new IR, and the ground schools will have to get used to it. I thought it better to be able to revise by using an accurate question bank in a known syllabus.

For the flight training, I'm lucky in that I have managed to arrange it in my own aircraft, and with a great deal on instructor rates - free! The school is putting together a new approach to IR training, aimed specifically at private rather than commercial pilots, and I have volunteered as a guinea pig. The plan is to do the training in 3 - 4 long weekends followed by a whole week leading up to the flight test. Of course, this plan might change as they are trying it out on me to see if a series of high-intensity weekends will be an effective way to learn. Longer term (and when they start charging fees) they intend to offer a flexible custom course structure to suit individual students.

I went for an assessment flight with my instructor-to-be yesterday, which went fairly well, although I was pretty exhausted after a couple of holds, an NDB/DME approach, an ILS approach, and an RNAV approach in 45-knot upper winds and a good deal of turbulence over the Welsh hills. Obviously I have a long way to go but the instructor was positive that I should have no problem being test-ready within the 50 hours. In fact, he hopes that there will be enough time to fit in some longer trips and gain some real-world experience.

P.S. Peter, the screens were great, thanks! I just need to make those minor repairs and I will be good to go.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

If the EASA NPA comes true, as an IMC holder in reasonably regular practice, I'll apparently need two written exams, 10 hrs training and a skill test. I have every intention of doing that as soon as a reputable and convenient training provider offers it.

I'd love to do the full IR from scratch - the reality is that the cost in both time and money is beyond my resources, and I'm in no hurry as the 500ft DH and VFR-overseas limitations are fairly trivial restrictions on my personal flying patterns.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

I will definitely do an IR one day. But I'm in no great hurry and at the moment can't justify the time or the money. Like GtE, I am waiting with interest...

EGLM & EGTN

Genghis - the 500ft limitation is only a recommendation in the AIP - it is not in fact a legal requirement. With the IMCr (or IR(R) as it is now) the only requirement is a minimum visibility of 1800m when taking off or landing below cloud, which is significantly less restrictive.

Provided you obey that visibility limitation, you can legally fly any IAP to DA/MDA on an IMCr.

London area

With the current requirements there is no way I can afford to repeat the TK and flight training. In both time, money and to a lessor extent the inconvenience - long commute, hotels etc

However if the CBM IR comes to pass then I pretty certain that I would knock it off.

I would also like to see what sort of charges the CAA will dream up (both direct and indirect) to allow schools to teach it and thus how widespread its uptake will become.

I also wonder what effect the CBM IR will have on wannabes. Will it become the default way of obtaining a Frozen ATPL? If this is the case I suspect there will be a fair amount of pressure applied by the big "world leading" FTO to block it.

I also wonder what effect the CBM IR will have on wannabes. Will it become the default way of obtaining a Frozen ATPL? If this is the case I suspect there will be a fair amount of pressure applied by the big "world leading" FTO to block it.

The CBM IR is expected to become the default way for the IR portion of a CPL/IR (ATPL) course, which is where its political vulnerability lies.

That's why i wouldn't like to count this particular chicken until it is in the bag

However I suspect the FTOs will find ways to protect revenue. The average ab initio candidate will still take 40-50hrs to reach the JAA IRT standard (as it stands), so the "10hr min" will be of benefit only to those with a prior experience, which I would guess is a tiny proportion of the average FTO's intake.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Genghis - the 500ft limitation is only a recommendation in the AIP - it is not in fact a legal requirement. With the IMCr (or IR(R) as it is now) the only requirement is a minimum visibility of 1800m when taking off or landing below cloud, which is significantly less restrictive.

Provided you obey that visibility limitation, you can legally fly any IAP to DA/MDA on an IMCr.

Interesting, I just checked CAP 804 and the ANO and you appear to be correct.

Why is that kept so quiet?

(Mind you, I'd still like the ability to fly in class A and fly IMC abroad).

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

I plan to do the IR... and have looked into all the various options FAA first then convert, straight JAA IR... but I have decided to wait; but not actually for the CBM. I already hold an IMCr in the UK, and on visits home I have practised a little, so would not call myself an IFR master but reasonably confident. Sadly I can't use it where I currently fly from, hence the interest in an IR; but my IMC skills remain a get out of the shit card whether legal or not, I can get my arse back on the ground if I need to... but it is the threat of PRNAV equipment that I am nervous about. The IR is a massive investment not only money, but time as well. If Euroland mandate PRNAV, I just can;t see my club equipping the aircraft as the actual IR uptake is very low with there being no IMC equivalent.

EDHS, Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message