Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

8 killed in mid-air over Germany

The news just came in. 7 people killed when two aircraft collided near Reichelsheim (Frankfurt area). Among the killed several children.

http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Sieben-Menschen-sterben-article9723651.html

One was a microlight so there must have been at least 5 persons on board of the other. No information as to the type of the larger plane.

Here's the microlight:

My German is just good enough that I could understand the accident being announced when listening to Antenne Bayern on the Internet this morning. Very sad to hear, and equally so to see the photo.

That "microlight" looks like a Robin. The wing in the link is bent, and the UC legs are too far back for a taildragger.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Number revised upward to 8, apparantly 5 in one 3 in the other, including 4 children....

good visibility according to the press, still in daylight (just) at 16:30, so depending on the headings, low sun could have played a role

Be Dutch!
EGMA

That microlight is clearly a DR400. The wing is typical and the elevator confirms this as well. Let's wait what the BFU will tell us. A sad thing, my condolences to the families.

United Kingdom

Was it near an airport, or enroute (in cruise)?

Any opinions on whether one or both would have been Mode C/S?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Was it near an airport, or enroute (in cruise)?

It was close to Reichelsheim airport (EDFC). I don't know whether they were both approaching, both departing, or something else. Reichelsheim is a medium-size "normal" (VFR) GA airfield (I was there a week ago). Please consider that most small GA grass airfields are not normally active in winter, and the bigger airports are very expensive. So, in winter, most light GA activity "concentrates" at these medium size GA airfields. Also consider that in winter, a lot of acticity concentrates during mid-afternoon, and especially shortly before sunset.

Any opinions on whether one or both would have been Mode C/S?

Don't know, but I would expect so. Most of all GA four-seaters now have Mode-S in Germany. Not that it would make a lot of difference, though. ATC radar traffic advisories from FIS are now normally not available in Germany, at least on sunny weekend days. Also, quite possibly they both were already talking to Reichelsheim info, but I don't know this for sure.

TCAS is not normally installed on small legacy GA aircraft in Germany (just like anywhere else).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Police confirmed it to be a Robin DR 400-180 with two adults and a child on board. The other one a Piper Saratoga with two adults and three children. This amounts to 8 fatalities.

Police also said both pilots were experienced and the weather conditions were excellent. The accident happened close to Reichelsheim but not near the traffic pattern.

The probability of colliding in 3D space under VFR (no levels and routes assigned with APs) is almost zero. The probability of two small aircraft carrying so many people (and children!) is also pretty low. How tragic.

Police also said both pilots were experienced...

The information got just through, that the pilot who intended to land at Reichelsheim flew for Lufthansa in his day job.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Don't know, but I would expect so. Most of all GA four-seaters now have Mode-S in Germany. Not that it would make a lot of difference, though. ATC radar traffic advisories from FIS are now normally not available in Germany, at least on sunny weekend days. Also, quite possibly they both were already talking to Reichelsheim info, but I don't know this for sure.

Strange that you make that comment about traffic advisories, I flew into Koblenz yesterday afternoon and on the way there and back I requested, and received, traffic information from Langen Information. In fact, I have rarely ever been denied traffic information in Germany even on busy VFR weekends.

Concerning visibility, yes, visibility was good but when flying yesterday, there was an extremely low inversion around 1300 feet msl also, about the time of the accident, the sun was low in the west.

The info that I have is that the Robin was already talking to Reichelsheim Info on anticipation of landing, the Saratoga was en route from Stadtlohn to Aschaffenburg and was probably only flying so low to ensure he was below Charlie Airspace around Frankfurt. Assuming the Saratoga was still in contact with Langen and received the traffic advisory, if he were overtaking the Robin with that aircraft to his right, he would have had little chance of seeing him due to the sun. But bearing in mind the efficiency of Langen - they have always given me initial advisories at least 3nm out - the Saratoga probably wasn't listening otherwise he could have climbed - that would be my first reaction if told "traffic crossing, same altitude" - put a few hundred feet between myself and the conflicting traffic.....

My thoughts go to the victims, their friends and family.

EDL*, Germany
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message