Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A German Insurance company doesn't get what they are looking for

See this recent opinion from the FAA Chief Counsel. It appears to me that they were seeking to not pay a claim for hull damage on an N registered aircraft.

here

KUZA, United States

What I fail to understand is why people who operate expensive kit like a PA 46 on an N-reg in Europe don’t do the standalone FAA license. It’s hardly rocket science and puts a firm lid on cans of worms like this one.

Historically the reason has been what one might call certain difficulties in arranging FAA checkrides in Europe. It’s a long story, which I know rather a lot about myself (having done the FAA PPL & CPL here and the IR in the USA)…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is one reason why I just did my standalone FAA commercial. While the position is clear it avoids regulatory or even, as in this case, insurance questions regarding the 61.75. The Cessna turbine conversion that crashed in Belgium had half the accident report devoted to his 61.75.

EGTK Oxford

I noticed in December that Virgin has direct flights from Gatwick to Las Vegas… I can imagine getting the recommendation from a UK based CFII and taking the checkride in Vegas. I mention Gatwick because avoiding Heathrow T5 is one of my major ambitions in life

Its often enjoyable to read FAA legal opinions because they so obviously avoid ambiguity and are painfully aware that every businesslike word is forming a precedent.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Aug 21:56

Yeah… TSA and Visa

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s a good point. I wouldn’t gladly pursue any more US visa applications, ummmm, ever again

Non-event. If you can already fly airplanes, then all you need is a pass on the theory, some hours with a CFI and the checkride. AFAIK (but don’t quote me on this), no visa required, as you are not taking formal flight training.

You need TSA and technically the hours with a US instructor to recommend are training.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, but they don’t meet the 15-hour per week (or whatever it is) test. TSA – yes, forgot that in my post.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message