Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gotta love flying in these -2C temps

With the hard frost opening up a whole bunch of new places to land. Winter flying is my favourite. Attached is a short vid of a winter wheat field landing if your interested. This field was waterlogged mud 3 days ago.

Farm strip in Angus Scotland

Are off airport landings legal in the UK?

No sure really, nobody seems to mind round these parts, they are all neighbouring farms

With the landowner's permission, yes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It would be interesting to know where they are and where they aren't.

EGKB Biggin Hill

One of the best things about off field landings is the price

I think in France it's also legal but only with a ULM (microlight).

In Germany, it's prohibited. You need a prior permission from the local authorities which you can get but it's not a quick and easy thing.

What I can do in Germany is notice a weird sound from my engine, land off airport, investigate the strange noise and take off again. The landowner is not allowed to block me provided I leave my name and address. If you notice strange noises too often, you will probably get in trouble.

PS: The fine in Germany for an off airport landing is up to 50 000 €. The German law considers an airport outside its opening hours to not be an airport so if your airfield closes at 20:00 and you land at 20:01, it's an off airport landing and we're talking 50 000 €.

50 Grand !!!!!! are you serious, Who the fiddlesticks came up with those rules, don't you have a pilot lobby like AOPA over there. That is a major safety issue

I think in France it's also legal but only with a ULM (microlight). And with the landowner's consent also required - as I heard.

In Belgium: absolutely and totally forbidden, with any kind of aeroplane. I'm sure Holland will be the same. Possible exception for gliders, I'm not familiar with their ruleset.

BTW I don't think this is a safety issue really - in an emergency, one can, always and everywhere. Captain's discretion, was the term?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In Belgium: absolutely and totally forbidden, with any kind of aeroplane. I'm sure Holland will be the same.>

Its a world gone mad, off field landings are half the fun of flying and good training

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message