Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

This draft of the BASA came as a surprise to the PPL/IR community last spring. Until then there had been absolutely no information about the contents of the BASA and the provisions for conversion in both directions. All who participated in the negociations kept a tight lid on it.

To me the most interesting part of @davidfabry’s post is that he got additional information about the roadmap to the BASA from the horse’s mouth, and they do indeed target April 2016 which is when the provisions in the EASA basic regulation pertaining to the need for all pilot’s residing in the EU to have appropriate EASA license and ratings will be applicable.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Oct 18:23
LFPT, LFPN

One has to ask why keep such a tight lid on it by EASA.

IMHO it is because a lot of people in Europe will be p1ssed off. Who might they be? I would start by following the money made (or more likely not made) if licensing is made easier

The USA has nothing to lose because nobody with a brain is going to train in Europe to get FAA licenses to use in the USA!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is about time that we get some level of mutual recognition of pilot’s licenses between Europe and the US. For years now the Americans have accepted European licenses and ratings through FAR 61.75. Even getting recognition of a foreign IR by the FAA requires only a relatively simple theoretical exam of 45 minutes duration. Although the CB-IR conversion path from 3rd country IR now exists, it is far from symmetrical with the FAR 61.75 path.

LFPT, LFPN

News directly from the FAA,

“Hello Paul,

Unfortunately, the agreement we are working toward will only allow for the conversion of licenses/certificates at the private pilot level (airplane, single and multi-engine, and instrument ratings). Our intent is to have that in place by April of 2016. While there have been some initial discussions regarding the expansion of the agreement to include commercial and ATP licenses/certificates, there has been no formal proposal on this course of action. Should EASA opt to expand the agreement, I’m sure the FAA would respond favorably, and wok toward that end would commence right away. That said, my guess would be that it would take an additional year (at least) to formalize such an agreement.

I’m sorry the news here isn’t better. Given the volume of emails I’ve received, it is clear many people are impacted by the upcoming policy change by the EU/EASA. Hopefully a solution can be found to help address these concerns."

So, good news for PPL’s not so for CPL/ATP. It seems EASA is the problem, FAA want to include CPL/ATP in the BASA

There have been rumours for some time, and getting stronger, that the April 2016 deadline will get another extension.

Administrator

That would be good, at least a start to allow the FAA and EASA to work on a BASA covering CPL/ATP. That is if EASA decide to proceed, the ball really seems to be in their hands as judging by the email response I received the FAA wish to proceed, but are currently waiting for EASA. Is your source reliable about possible extension to April 2017 ?

Apparently EASA wanted some matters from the FAA and FAA agreed if EASA would allow the same to their licencies…… so the result I heard might be that the april 2016 date is possibly going to be delayed again for a year till april 2017. Suites me fine as French IFR needs annual IFR flight test and FAA Bi-Annualy. Has anybody heared more on this possible delay on date??

LFBG

There are increasing rumours about April 2017.

However they might all come from the same place so you can’t be sure

I am very pleased that somebody out there is forcing EASA to keep deferring the EASA FCL “attack on N-regs” (forcing dual pilot papers and medicals) until there is an FAA-EASA FCL treaty. As I have written before, the original 2011 EASA FCL regs were very obviously made into law by conning the EU Transport Committee with a fake promise of the treaty being just around the corner.

And every 12 month deferral saves me a few hundred quid in being able to delay what would be my annual JAA/EASA IR revalidation flight

Administrator

willem wrote:

Suites me fine as French IFR needs annual IFR flight test and FAA Bi-Annualy. Has anybody heared more on this possible delay on date??

The only FAA requirement for IR is rolling 6 months currency.

The FAA flight review period is the same as for the EASA flight review: biennial.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 30 Nov 12:19
LFPT, LFPN

I read the following on PPL I/R, is there any truth in the rumour?

‘despite the likely postponement to 2017 of the requirement for EU residents to be in possession of EASA papers’.

Sign in to add your message