Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Peter wrote:

Practically this excludes the last few hours before the checkride, and the checkride itself of course.

Not when the applicant holds an equivalent third-country licence. In that case, the flight training in preparation for the US practical test can be given by an ICAO instructor outside the US. 14 CFR 61.39(e)(1)

Can anybody else understand the above?

Why bother? It is full of misleading statements.

ICAO IR to EASA/UK IR conversion uses the fact you have the original IR… They should not be looking at your training hours.

Whether or not an ICAO IR is held, up to 15 hours of instrument flight time under instruction, received from other than a Part-FCL instructor, may be credited towards the CBM IR experience requirement.

London, United Kingdom

It is full of misleading statements.

I wonder why they put out such nonsense. They should know better.

Not when the applicant holds an equivalent third-country licence. In that case, the flight training in preparation for the US practical test can be given by an ICAO instructor outside the US. 14 CFR 61.39(e)(1)

That’s interesting. It would apply if doing say an FAA IR while already holding another ICAO IR. It’s probably a rare situation. I did both my IR and CPL in the US, first, and never did a Euro CPL. And, practically, with European checkrides being “difficult” if you got to the US for the checkride then you will want some local flying there.

Whether or not an ICAO IR is held, up to 15 hours of instrument flight time under instruction, received from other than a Part-FCL instructor, may be credited towards the CBM IR experience requirement.

That’s handy too. Someone could do some flying in the US, with a CFII, for no particular purpose, and then on the CBIR over here get that credited.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are the UK rules changing in line with the EASA ones? I thought that because all the EASA laws were taken into UK law at the time of severance, they no longer automatically change in line with EASA changes made since severance.
Or are you saying that the new FAA, EASA licencing agreements are the same as the old ones? It’s a bit confusing and not at all what was set out in the GA roadmap for the future which was taken round ATOs here.

France

Are the UK rules changing in line with the EASA ones?

Yes.

Also as you see the UK ended the derogation in Dec 2021, while some of the EU countries are continuing theirs. However they claim all the EU derogations will end June 2022; it remains to be seen whether this will produce a stampede to mainland FTOs for the IRs, or produce a decimation of the mainland pilot community. The UK has the IMCR which as the above link shows is good enough for most UK pilots.

Administrator

I don’t know anyone with just an FAA licence although we have 3 or 4 N reg based here.
That’s not including people I know of through posts on EuroGA.
But the road map declared that EASA and FAA were determined to move closer together in regulation.

France

Nothing will change the final June 2022 deadline in Europe.

Pilots and operators have known this would would eventually come, for about ten years.

Last year, when TIP-L came out, everybody knew the end of derogations would finally be imminent.

So everybody had and still has enough time to get their paperwork in order.

The EU will never never extend the deadline again, as doing so would mean admitting that their BASA (which everything hinged on) does not „work“.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I agree with your “political assessment” but the fact is that the BASA has done very little.

It was “sold” (in its original form as a “licensing annex” to the bigger treaty) as something which will give us mutual FAA-EU paperwork acceptance, but that didn’t happen. There are just some credits. The biggest gain is the CBIR route which avoids the 7 IR exams.

Administrator

The IAA has at long last agreed that the BASA TIP-L procedure trumps their general requirement for IR conversion applicants to have passed all the EASA IR written exams. So for a qualified applicant holding FAA IR, the requirements to add IR to PPL(A) are oral exam and skills test.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Peter wrote:

That is just straight ICAO however.

If they didn’t like that, they should not have signed up to ICAO.

No Peter. The ICAO convention article 32.b) says:

Each contracting State reserves the right to refuse to recognize, for the purpose of flight above its own territory, certificates of competency and licenses granted to any of its nationals by another contracting State.

Which means as per ICAO, the UK is well within its rights to refuse to recognise your FAA licence for operating an N-reg. Technically there are, from a modern POV, two bugs there:

1. The convention says “national”, which was how much of the world order was a century ago (states having jurisdiction over their nationals). The current world order puts more importance in residency than in nationality per se, and so that’s IMHO an anachronism. If the convention were made from scratch today, it would say “resident”, probably.
  2. The convention is between states, so the right to not recognise FAA papers technically applies only to France for the French, Czech Republic for Czechs, etc. While the EU sees itself as a single bloc and a single issuer of licences, and wants to assert that right EU-wide for all EU persons.

So technically, yes, that whole “you need EU papers” rule is not compliant with ICAO. But IMHO it is within its spirit.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

So technically, yes, that whole “you need EU papers” rule is not compliant with ICAO. But IMHO it is within its spirit.

To add complexity you can’t fly N-reg in EASA airspace with EASA FCL PPL !!

I was told if you are LBA FCL PPL holder residing in France and flying N-reg in France (with FAA papers as you can’t use LBA PPL to fly it in France), you have complied with “you need EU papers” in the eyes of DGAC (who has a very relaxed view on this topic), although you never use your FCL papers in France, you have fully complied with Basic Regulations…

I was told this by someone who does not have DGAC papers

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Apr 12:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message