Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

The April 2019 date has today been published by the UK CAA – local copy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On a quick read this ‘exemption’ doesn’t seem to amount to much of one:-

• the explanatory note says it applies only to UK airspace. (We have had discussions on here as to whether an NAA exemption applies to its airspace or its licence holders. This seems to suggest the UK CAA thinks it applies to airspace)
  • it applies only to FAA licence holders, rather than any ICAO licence holder
  • it introduces (I think for the first time) some qualifying conditions for the exemption to apply, which are taken from the draft BASA. Among these is a requirement to demonstate theoretical knowledge to a Part FCL examiner. Really?
TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Yes this is quite a significant change.

EGTK Oxford

Or it is a cock-up. A large % of CAA documents which appear on their website get removed and revised a few days later.

Administrator

It sounds crazy that the UK could draft an exemption that only applies to FAA certificate holders and apply additional conditions.

My understanding is that the NAAs either notify EASA that they will apply the exemption, or not. The basic regulation does not contains a provision for anything in between.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

My understanding is that the NAAs either notify EASA that they will apply the exemption, or not. The basic regulation does not contains a provision for anything in between.

It doesn’t say they can’t apply additional conditions. I assume their argument is that if the reason to delay implementation is the upcoming BASA, then only FAA certificate holders need to be exempted.

EGTK Oxford

It gets even better… This has appeared today from the UK CAA

This is pure dynamite!

Does it make any sense to anybody?

It sounds like there are factions within the CAA fighting each other. For example, this statement prohibits all ICAO license holders flying in UK airspace unless they take those actions to comply. It also bans the FAA Class 3 medical.

Administrator

What it sounds like to me is that they will not apply the exemption and thereby postpone the requirement that 3rd country license holders domiciled in the EU must have EASA licenses. They seem to be anticipating the terms of the BASA licensing annex (a draft of which was published by the FAA) and probably also the IP (implementation procedure) which we have not seen so far.

If it is the case that the requirements laid forth in the CAA documents do indeed describe how to validate a FAA certificate to continue to fly N-reg aircraft, it sounds to me like it is (relatively) good news for EU resident FAA certificate holders compared to what it would otherwise have been (no agreement)

LFPT, LFPN

That’s not what it says, however. Also all signs are that the treaty is dead indefinitely postponed.

Also the oral exam and the FAA Class 1 or 2 requirement is bizzare.

If this became real (which I don’t believe because even US airlines are illegal to fly into the UK now) then holding a UK Class 2 would do the job for UK airspace.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If this became real (which I don’t believe because even US airlines are illegal to fly into the UK now)

Why do you say that? This covers non-commercial use of a third country licence. The fact it starts ​tomorrow and the forms don’t exist on the CAA website indicates​ a bit of a problem.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message