Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

@Harry

That is a good point, but my thinking is that I have an EASA ATPL underlying my FAA PPL/IR, so I clearly have all the qualifications I need (Air Law, medical, ELP etc) but I wonder if I have to declare that to the CAA.

If I fly an N reg aircraft in the UK, I would be exercising the privileges of my FAA/IR, as my EASA ATPL would not allow me to exercise IFR privileges while flying N Reg (AIUI), so there is an argument that I have to “validate” my FAA license, but it would be faintly ridiculous for a UK EASA ATPL/IRI/CRI(ME) to have to present himself to an instructor to reassure the CAA (who is quite happy to let me fly it’s own aircraft on Public Transport) that I know what a MATZ is.

Ho hum, what a dog’s dinner of a pig’s ear. I wish the DfT would crawl back and do what they know how to do and leave aviation regulation to the people that they subcontract to know about this.

Chris Grayling, who f***s up everything he touches and is now f***ing up Transport in his inimitable way, is also my local MP, and used to be a friend until he realised that the only way up the Tory Party is up the right hand side and re-invented himself as a right wing git (he used to be quite reasonable and liberal.) Maybe I’ll sully myself and write to him.

EGKB Biggin Hill

as my EASA ATPL would not allow me to exercise IFR privileges while flying N Reg

Under FAR 61.3 you can fly an N-reg on any non US papers so long as they are issued by the owner of the airspace. So your EASA ATPL would be fine for IFR etc – in UK airspace only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah, thank you. I thought that the VFR limitation was one issued by the owner of the airspace, not the registrant of the airframe.

EGKB Biggin Hill

placido wrote:

http://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/Derogation%20TABLE_23.07.15%20version%2030.xlsx

A new derogations table is online. This seems to be updated to April 8th, 17

This table has definitely not been updated recently. It clearly states:

European Aviation Safety Agency Version 28 – 23 July 2015

And one can actually tell just looking at the file name: Derogation TABLE_23.07.15 version 30.xlsx, although the version number does not match the one that appears in the table…

The legal basis on which the UK derogation was issued is Article 14, paragraph 4 of the Basic Regulation (EC 216/2008)

4. Member States may grant exemptions from the substantive requirements laid down in this Regulation and its implementing rules in the event of unforeseen urgent operational circumstances or operational needs of a limited duration, provided the level of safety is not adversely affected. The Agency, the Commission and the other Member States shall be notified of any such exemptions as soon as they become repetitive or where they are granted for periods of more than two months.
LFPT, LFPN

I thought that the VFR limitation was one issued by the owner of the airspace, not the registrant of the airframe.

I can be that too e.g. if you want to fly an N-reg on the NPPL then you are limited to VFR only because that is a license limitation. And while IIRC France accepts the NPPL, you can’t go there because 61.3 says “issued by” and your ATPL was issued by the UK.

This table has definitely not been updated recently. It clearly states:

We have posts here, probably in this thread, confirming that the EU has the 2019 derogation in its pipeline. It should eventually appear… And, on past history, most “normal” countries will opt IN.

It would be an absolute scream if the UK opted IN also, like they always did…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So your EASA ATPL would be fine for IFR etc – in UK airspace only.

Peter, like you I fly an N registered aircraft and also like you I have both an FAA and EASA licences (not 61.75) with an IR on both licences and for myself a Class Rating on the aircraft that I operate.

It would appear at first sight that your statement above restricts you to UK airspace only…this cannot be the case.

Please also let me ask you, do you intend to send off the SRG2140 form or would you consider that is unnecessary as you already have all of the necessary qualifications to operate in European airspace?

If you have a valid EASA licence and IR in addition to your FAA one you are compliant with the European rules and dont need to do anything as far as I can see. As you have an FAA certificate you would not be limited to the UK only.

This is all about people without a valid EASA certificate.

EGTK Oxford

It would appear at first sight that your statement above restricts you to UK airspace only…this cannot be the case.

Timothy’s ATPL is not limited to the UK but FAR 61.3 is where the territorial limitation is. Many previous threads on this one. To fly to LFAT he would need FAA papers also (which he has).

Please also let me ask you, do you intend to send off the SRG2140 form or would you consider that is unnecessary as you already have all of the necessary qualifications to operate in European airspace?

Once I sort out the UK IR, I probably won’t bother. With a bit of luck this half cocked measure will collapse or be deferred, because it doesn’t make much sense. But I might send it off in case I want to stop revalidating the UK IR.

Administrator

JasonC wrote:

If you have a valid EASA licence and IR in addition to your FAA one you are compliant with the European rules and dont need to do anything as far as I can see.

Jason, Many thanks.

Peter wrote:

We have posts here, probably in this thread, confirming that the EU has the 2019 derogation in its pipeline. It should eventually appear… And, on past history, most “normal” countries will opt IN.

That’s fine, but in the meantime it has not been adopted… so there is nothing to opt-out of.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message