Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Sure, but once the EU pushes out the derogation, and the usual countries opt IN, (except presumably the UK), then a UK based pilot – who say cannot get the Class 2 medical – could fly VFR to the UK airspace border on the NPPL and then change to IFR and continue on his FAA Class 3 medical – like almost everybody has been doing for decades.

I am just looking for ways to alleviate the biggest hurdles in this mad DfT action. But even the NPPL takes 6-8 weeks to get.

A bonanza for AMEs…

The usual people were taking the pi*ss out of me for doing the JAA IR in 2012 (I can’t be bothered to search for their posts right now) while they waited for the seemingly never ending run of derogations to end. Almost everybody was doing this, arguably for good logical reasons. Only the arrival of the CB IR made the process of getting a Euro IR (on the back of the FAA IR) reasonable, but by then very few were bothered because another derogation would always come. An even I stopped revalidating the UK IR eventually.

But now the DfT has f**ucked everybody over with this appallingly badly timed and in some respects bizzare (FAA Class 2??- why?) ruling. Plenty of pilots can’t get any Class 2, ever, without unreasonable stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am wondering whether the CAA derogation will be null and void once (if) the EU adopts the new deadline. Could one not consider that the CAA/DfT actually did UK pilots a favour by introducing this measure without which everybody w/o EASA papers would effectively be grounded? Because had that route not been available (to UK license holders), the only options would be to get EASA licenses and ratings.

Member States may grant exemptions from the substantive requirements laid down in this Regulation and its implementing rules in the event of unforeseen urgent operational circumstances or operational needs of a limited duration, provided the level of safety is not adversely affected.

The unforeseen urgent circumstances being that the EU did not adopt a new postponement of the deadline?

I am still not sure the FAA class 2 medical requirement is not just a cock-up.

In any event, I think this is a serious warning shot across the bow of all those who are passively waiting for a free lunch (as the BASA licensing annex). I took the step to get the EASA IR in 2014, immediately after the Aircrew Annex III section A validation option became available in Norway to avoid getting in this situation.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 10 Apr 17:39
LFPT, LFPN

Here is something else. The American AIP states the FAA Class 3 is equivalent to ICAO Class 2

I don’t see anything in Chapter 6 of relevance other than the ECG difference.

Administrator

I had never seen the date as of April 8, 2017 on any of the spreadsheet before.

I thought that Spain only decided not to derogate this time but had always derogated before. Maybe my memory doesn’t serve me wll.

LSZH

My trust company SAC have informed me that they have “heard, anecdotally, that the French CAA have simply extended the derogation until 2019”. I have been unable to find anything to this effect on the DGAC website, however.

Liverpool, Barton

Harry wrote:

the French CAA have simply extended the derogation until 2019

AOPA France did publish an article to that effect Monday, and a confirmation today along with an information note from DGAC. Contrary to what is the case in the UK, there are no additional strings attached. The note, like the UK one, also refers to the Basic Regulation article 14(4) as the basis.

I have been keeping an eye out for the “arrêté” similar to this concerning the extension to 8 April 2017, but no luck so far. It was supposed to be published yesterday or today.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Apr 18:46
LFPT, LFPN

Switzerland has also derogated, it is on the BAZL website

LSZH

Till 2018 or 2019?

Administrator
LSZH

Great news on France and Switzerland…but anyone any idea about Italy?

Sign in to add your message