Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Somebody should post this on US pilot forums.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Somebody should post this on US pilot forums.

I think it would be hard to get their attention with a UK claim that FAA private pilot medicals are not valid for international flight, although I could be wrong. There are lots of countries where Americans and others might be arrested for funny reasons when flying within ICAO treaty norms. But there are very few FAA private pilots who would be affected by UK aviation law any more than by Japanese or Chinese aviation law, or the law applied in various African countries.

I wonder if FAA would care enough to respond? For either Non-UK-resident or UK-resident FAA pilots, it could be that the only outcome of the ‘violation’ will be a letter to FAA from the UK CAA, which gets thrown in the trash.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Apr 17:50

What I find most bizarre is that the UK seizes this particular opportunity to communicate that the FAA Class 3 medical is not acceptable to them. So under the pretense of addressing an “event of unforeseen urgent operational circumstances or operational needs of a limited duration” they add an additional requirement that has nothing to do with the “event” which is the expiration of the 8th April 2017 derogation deadline, and they introduce a declarative process (to identify the individuals concerned?).

They can however claim that the FAA class 2 medical is not a new requirement because an ICAO class 2 has always been required, and the FAA class 3 does not meet that standard. I wonder whether this will set an example for other countries. And for all we know, the IP of the BASA licensing annex may contain provisions that require a FAA class 2 medical.

There may still be hope though, since this exemption is granted for more than two months, and hence article 14 paragraphs 5-7 apply. On the other hand, maybe the extension of the derogation will not be adopted by the EU as they consider that all countries that want to apply this exemption already have done so, as France, Germany, Switzerland and the UK have.

LFPT, LFPN

I have posted it on the two main US forums.

Administrator

Silvaire wrote:

I wonder if FAA would care enough to respond? For either Non-UK-resident or UK-resident FAA pilots, it could be that the only outcome of the ‘violation’ will be a letter to FAA from the UK CAA, which gets thrown in the trash.

If you get caught in the US driving a vehicle for which your permit is not considered valid, is the only likely penalty a letter to the issuing DMV? I think not.

Irrelevant.

Administrator

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Without having read the whole thread, I have basic question:

Can I fly my N-reg in the UK on my FAA license if I’m not based there?

AdamFrisch wrote:

Can I fly my N-reg in the UK on my FAA license if I’m not based there?

With this Pythonesque chaos in place and with the UK CAA record of criminal prosecutions, I personally wouldn’t fly as PIC in the UK.

That said, the new law addresses only UK residents (so far so good) but in support of the new law the Government has issued correspondence indicating they consider the FAA Private Pilot (3rd Class) Medical to be inadequate for international flight under ICAO guidelines. So I think nobody has a clue what you can do legally in the UK with a Private Pilot Medical. If you get a FAA 2nd Class Commercial Pilots Medical it seems to me you’d probably be OK, but I don’t think many non-residents would go to that trouble just to fly in the UK.

Actually the question is whether one can fly outside of the US at all with “only” an FAA Class 3 medical… And wouldn’t the consequence of the UK considering that the FAA Class 3 is not ICAO class 2 compliant be that you cannot fly in the UK on a class 3 medical even if you do not reside there?

It is absurd.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message