Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Green card (permanent resident) doesn’t confer any rights for corporate ownership.

I’ve switched from a trust to my own registered ownership when I got the green card. The registration form, 8050-1 has a section for non-citizen ownership. I ticked the box and supplied my USCIS number.

Interestingly, a partnership has to be purely US citizens, but co-ownership can be a mixture of citizens and permanent residents.

But a green card is considered to have been abandoned if you leave the US for more than about a year, unless you have a good reason for needing to retain it.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I love it when a plan comes together…..

EGTK Oxford

I have written a note to the Swiss FOCA to ask them for guidance. They kind of know me know – the swallow that shows up every year, same time same place
… and much of my email is a copy/paste job.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Timothy wrote:

If you are EU resident, then you may need to have an EASA licence and IR after April, but most of us do not think that the Commission will allow that to happen.

Any chance you could provide the source/background for this? Just trying to figure out if this concerns me.

Thanks!

EGSX

Guys,
I got comfirmation from the german ministry that I can fly a n-reg in germany on a FAA PPL so the opt out applies on the airspace and not according the pilot residncy.
but I have one doubt. Do I need additional documents to carry on board or have on the ground more than the papers required from the FAA?
and what about the radio licence? I don’t speak german, is my FCC USA radio licence sufficent or I need a german radio licence to operate a n-reg in germany ?

Oh and

Guys,
I got comfirmation from the german ministry that I can fly a n-reg in germany on a FAA PPL so the opt out applies on the airspace and not according the pilot residncy.

You ought to post the text of that “confirmation”, I am sure some would be very interested.

AFAIK, EASA never expressed itself how exactly these exemptioms work, but logic always told that, indeed, every CAA can only make exemptions for their airspace, not for “their” licenses.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

edoardognutti,

The Federal Communications Commmission in the USA issues an “Aircraft Radio Station License.” $165. Online application. They return a PDF license the next day. Not needed inside the USA, issued only for N-registered airplanes flown outside the USA. I had to get one for mine.

I would imagine you need any papers that are required in Europe. I brought my N-registered plane over from the USA (I am American) and added a whole stack: proof of insurance, VAT exemption/payment, radio station license.

As for FCC USA radio license, I am told mine is sufficient here in Europe, not that anyone has ever asked for it. They only issue it in the USA for foreign operations; it is not required domestically.

Hello..

Does anyone know how this stupid rule affects US citizens flying a personal N-registered plane brought over from the USA living on a visa in the EU (without an EASA license)?

And for that matter, since I am running into Spanish confusion getting my EASA conversion done, I’d like to go for the one year permit. Does anyone have info for Spain or Germany (I have visas for both)?

I imagine, in practical reality, that I would pretty much never have a problem waving a US passport around flying my US airplane, though I think its wise to get the paperwork straight.

@edoardognutti would you be able to post that confirmation you got?

@hypoxiacub what I believe to be a current list of documents for an N-reg in Europe is here The noise certificate is asked for at many German and Swiss airports and if you don’t have it, they will extract more money from you

Does anyone know how this stupid rule affects US citizens flying a personal N-registered plane brought over from the USA living on a visa in the EU (without an EASA license)?

The terms “operator” and others in EASA FCL have never been defined. This I believe is deliberate, for maximum “FUD effect”. I don’t think the possession of an EU visa means anything, however.

I imagine, in practical reality, that I would pretty much never have a problem waving a US passport around flying my US airplane

I think you are right. If you move around a lot and can produce documents showing that you live in the USA, I can’t see a problem anyway.

Many believe this will never be implemented – because it is so vague. It keeps getting delayed; currently to April 2019, and there no known reasons for any date to become a final one. The delay keeps repeating because there is no prospect of a US-EU treaty on it. And if you are in the UK, Brexit renders the issue meaningless anyway because EASA FCL uses the words “resident in the Community” (or similar).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And if you are in the UK, Brexit renders the issue meaningless anyway because EASA FCL uses the words “resident in the Community” (or similar).

Well, this is what I first thought to be the case for Switzerland (which is not in the EU, but an EASA state). But then I learned that in the bilateral treaty about becoming an EASA member, they included the obligation to treat all references to the “community” in the EASA context to include Switzerland. I don’t know (and I even doubt) if they ever passed a Swiss national law to that effect (which would bind Swiss citizens, as opposed to the bilateral treaty which only binds states). But I wouldn’t expect a Swiss administration or court to bother much about such subtleties — they might argue that by voting on this as part of the bilateral treaty, parliament also wanted to apply this directly to their citizens or whatever.

Anyway, I strongly expect a similar clause in the bilateral EASA-UK treaty if the UK remains an EASA member state after Brexit. Which means the issue would remain all but meaningless for you as well.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 27 Feb 14:02
Sign in to add your message