Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

This has just appeared on the EU website

PART_2020_102771V1_pdf

It is not clear what the purpose of it is. It seems to concern various validation and conversion routes from ICAO licenses to EASA licenses. I looked at the US PPL/IR to EASA PPL/IR (CB IR) route and I am confused whether there is really a change from the current system of an oral exam and a skills test, and no exams.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No change other than allowing DTOs to make recommendations for credit. Balloons and sailplanes are now dealt with under separate regulations so validation and conversion requirements across all relevant categories are covered by this new delegated act.

London, United Kingdom

Even though I have valid UK papers I still did the SRG2140 and SRG2142, with the cheque for £47, because it covers me from both angles. It clearly has no value to the CAA or anybody else but for £47 one may as well…

@jasonc what was the outcome of your request above?

Administrator

No response so I guess it didn’t work

Looks like these forms still need to be sent in…

I sent them in Special Delivery and will print off and keep the receipt indefinitely. The CAA does lose stuff; they lost my IR revalidation paperwork and in the end I got only 3 months of the 12.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No response so I guess it didn’t work

Looks like these forms still need to be sent in…

I sent them in Special Delivery and will print off and keep the receipt indefinitely. The CAA does lose stuff; they lost my IR revalidation paperwork and in the end I got only 3 months of the 12.

Please allow more than 1 day for a reply. The request didn’t work but I made use of the simpler process outlined by @plangley.

Last Edited by JasonC at 09 Jun 17:00
EGTK Oxford

Many thanks. Unless I am misreading it, he still had to send in the two SRG forms.

Administrator

Yes I did submit the two docs plus the £47 payments.
The simplified process was to eliminate certification of docs via a personal meeting with an examiner.
They could just send an email saying that they know you and your knowledge of Air Law was ok.
Also the FAA certificate and medical and logbooks were not required.

However it was still painful because the application processor (Gabrielle) wasn’t in the loop so a number of emails back and forth were required.

I just emailed the forms to the CAA. I didn’t bother to sign them since no electronic signature was possible.
When Gabrielle complained I pleaded “Head of Policy approved” !!
We love the CAA.

United Kingdom

OK now I see I did the same thing, plus a “remotely certified” copy of my passport.

I also enclosed a printout of the above letter from Mr Overall.

The FAA certificate is silly because any Joe Bloggs can check that on faa.gov!

Administrator

Hi to all

I have been reading this thread and am now more confused than ever.

I fly a N REG PA28 in the London area and I have both an EASA licence and a standalone FAA licence, I also have both EASA and FAA medicals.

Half of the people I speak to in the flying club tell me I need to send to the CAA the SRG 2140 and the SRG 2142 and the other half tell me that as a UK EASA licence holder its not necessary as the UK/EASA licence covers me for the UK and the FAA licence for Europe.

Does anyone know please what the real answer is ?

Many thanks
G

United Kingdom

You should send them to EuroGA. The one and only GA forum where (a) people don’t get beaten up and (b) garbage has a very short MTBF

It’s all there; it’s just a bit of a long thread.

If you have EASA pilot papers which fully cover your European flying, then no further action is required on your part to keep UK or Brussels happy.

You still need the FAA pilot papers for an N-reg, to meet ICAO/FAA requirements. Well, your EASA papers meet FAA 61.3 but only in UK airspace.

One gotcha, where the 47 quid may be worth it, is perhaps this example:

You fly an N-reg. IFR. You have FAA papers (PPL and IR and medical). You have EASA papers (PPL and IR and medical). Your EASA IR briefly lapses. You are still legal for VFR. If you did the SRG2140/SRG2142 “pilot harrassment exercise” you would be legal for IFR also. Similarly, you can continue to fly if your EASA medical lapses; these daft forms legalise you then too.

Does this make sense?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message