Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

OK, Wolfgang – many thanks. It sounds like the SRG2140-2142 stuff carries on as before and this latest CAA letter is more applicable to this.

BTW has anyone heard anything ever after sending in the 2140+2142? I know some people who sent in the 2140 (back when only the 2140 was asked for) got an email back saying they were good to fly their N-reg till 2019, which was as expected. But I think the CAA process collapsed after that and I am not aware of anybody who did the 2140+2142 having heard anything.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have, by e-mail, in November 2017 after sending in SRG 2140 and 2142.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The BASA implementation procedures for licensing are now a step closer. The amendment of the BASA that permits extra annexes, including licensing, has been executed. That means that the Annex and IPL, which have been agreed for a long time, can be added by an administrative (rather than legislative) act.

Hope you’re in good appetite, Peter. :)

[ local copy ]

I see only a 3 page PDF, with no info, @bookworm – am I doing something wrong?

What exactly is this – straight acceptance of FAA licenses, ratings, and medicals, in EASA-land?

Is this the next step in the treaty? That treaty was reported as having been more or less shelved.

Administrator

Up until now the BASA [ local copy ] only covered:

1) airworthiness approvals and monitoring of civil aeronautical products;
2) environmental testing and approvals of civil aeronautical products; and
3) approvals and monitoring of maintenance facilities.

The details are in two parts, an Annex (e.g. Annex 1 AIRWORTHINESS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CERTIFICATION on page 28 of the PDF) and then there’s then a separate set of technical implementation procedures (the TIP) [ local copy ] with the detail, adopted by the FAA and EASA (together the Certification Oversight Board) at a technical level.

The amendment I linked to adds:

(4) Personnel licensing and training;
(5) Operation of aircraft; and
(6) Air-traffic services and air-traffic management.

Drafts of Annex 3 and the Implementation Procedures for Licensing have been sitting on the shelf waiting for that amendment. The Bilateral Oversight Board can now add Annex 3 and create the Joint Aircrew Coordination Board to manage the IPL. The FAA published an advanced draft of the IPL a few years ago (though oddly perhaps not of Annex 3 itself). I can’t find it on the FAA site, but there’s a copy here. [ local copy ] The IPL consist of a set of “Special Conditions” for EASA’s acceptance of FAA licences and ratings and vice-versa. I doubt it will change much.

Last Edited by bookworm at 21 Jan 18:49

Many thanks @bookworm

We have done this before… I can’t find the exact thread but the FAA to EASA requirements (in the pilot licensing summary document) are similar to the ICAO IR to CB IR conversion except that you need an EASA medical. You also need a flight test with an examiner and an oral or written exam.

I am having difficulty getting my head around the complete picture and the practical result. Is this conversion (or validation?) a one-off event, after which you could fly an N-reg indefinitely in EASA-land, subject to having valid FAA papers (i.e. BFR and the 6/6 IR rolling currency, plus an FAA Class 3 medical) and having an EASA Class 2 medical?

If it is not a one-off event I can’t see the point.

Also it must be for non-remunerated flying only i.e. someone with an FAA CPL/IR will still have to sit all 14 EASA ATPL exams, plus the FTO flying, to get the EASA CPL/IR?

Administrator

It’s a conversion, and not limited to N-reg. Satisfy the EU Special Conditions and you get a standalone EASA licence/rating.

It is currently PPL/IR/night only.

So the resulting EASA PPL/IR needs a two-yearly PPL revalidation and an annual IR revalidation?

Can you abandon the FAA papers and medical afterwards (for those no longer flying N-regs)?

Administrator

Would that also allow you for example to exchange a 61.75 FAA certificate (based on the EASA PPL in the way of a validation) for a stand-alone FAA private certificate valid for life? No strings attached?

Rwy20 wrote:

Would that also allow you for example to exchange a 61.75 FAA certificate (based on the EASA PPL in the way of a validation) for a stand-alone FAA private certificate valid for life? No strings attached?

It seems a 61.75 is not relevant for the conditions listed. It looks to allow the issuance of a standalone FAA PPL on the basis of an EASA certificate if you meet the requirements.

And yes Peter, as a conversion there is no nexus between the two licences after issuance. You get a full EASA PPL which has to be kept current the same as any other. It doesn’t appear anything like 61.75 “on the basis” of your FAA certificate.

Last Edited by JasonC at 22 Jan 09:28
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message