Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Peter wrote:

So the resulting EASA PPL/IR needs a two-yearly PPL revalidation and an annual IR revalidation?
Can you abandon the FAA papers and medical afterwards (for those no longer flying N-regs)?

Yes and yes.

Rwy20 wrote:

Would that also allow you for example to exchange a 61.75 FAA certificate (based on the EASA PPL in the way of a validation) for a stand-alone FAA private certificate valid for life? No strings attached?

Yes, though bear in mind you would then need an FAA medical to use the standalone FAA certificate, while the 61.75 can be used on the basis of your EASA Part-MED certificate.

bookworm wrote:

Yes, though bear in mind you would then need an FAA medical to use the standalone FAA certificate, while the 61.75 can be used on the basis of your EASA Part-MED certificate.

And you aren’t exchanging the 61.75. If you obtain the standalone FAA certificate, your 61.75 continues to be held by you.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

And you aren’t exchanging the 61.75. If you obtain the standalone FAA certificate, your 61.75 continues to be held by you.

Correct…I have both…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There has been a long standing view that once you get the full FAA PPL, your 61.75 is lost. I wonder if there has been a definitive ruling on this?

Most people couldn’t care less but those who want to fly an N-reg on an EASA medical (because they cannot get an FAA medical anymore) prefer the 61.75. This is not all that uncommon.

Some previous threads e.g. here.

However does this give you the EASA-medical concession? IOW, can you choose, purely in your head, which if the two licenses you will be using on a particular flight?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Most people couldn’t care less but those who want to fly an N-reg on an EASA medical (because they cannot get an FAA medical anymore) prefer the 61.75. This is not all that uncommon.

Why would that be the case? If you cannot get an FAA Class III medical, I strongly doubt you could get an EASA Class II.

A pity no AME wants to post a list, but the special issuance process alone is an expensive and slow nightmare for most.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There has been a long standing view that once you get the full FAA PPL, your 61.75 is lost. I wonder if there has been a definitive ruling on this?

I don’t know where that view comes from as it is absolute rubbish. The FARs are clear that you cannot get a 61.75 if you already have a stand-alone. But you do not have to give one up if you already have it. I still have my 61.75. So does every person I know who has been through the process. It only continues to exist as a “view” because it gets repeated as a rumour every so often.

EGTK Oxford

The last paragraph in my post is saying something else.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The last paragraph in my post is saying something else.

I don’t understand Peter. Your point was a 61.75 is lost if you get a stand-alone. It isn’t.

What do you mean re medical? Of course you can’t use an EASA medical for a stand-alone FAA certificate (or vice versa) but if you lost your FAA medical you could continue to fly using a 61.75 and an EASA medical. Is that what you are getting at?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message