Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

My money would be on not much changing i.e. eventually needing a valid Euro PPL/IR to fly an N-reg if based in the UK.

The derogations may continue for years (assisted by the UK CAA FCL staff not really understanding what they are doing) but whatever one thinks of the wording they have the effect of continually diluting the population of N-reg pilots who have just FAA papers.

I doubt the FAA treaty will happen anytime soon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

and “nationals” means passport holders, which would offer a viable circumvention route…

That definition would exclude US nationals who are not US citizens.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

That definition would exclude US nationals who are not US citizens.

Is there such a thing? IIRC in the US you’re either a citizen or an alien (green card holder isn’t a US national, they are still an alien who happens to be a permanent resident).

Andreas IOM

FWIW the term used within the US to encompass all people with the right to live and work permanently in the US is US Person. The term is used in relation to security clearances, control of export restricted data and so on where non-citizen green card holders may have access higher than those without US residence.

I think ‘US Nationals’ would mean citizens to almost anybody.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Oct 14:16

The thing is that the USA signed up to ICAO without overly carefully reading the various clauses. Hence there are many differences to ICAO, some filed and some not filed. This came up here.

Administrator

For what it’s worth, the vast majority of U.S. nationals are also U.S. citizens, but there are exceptions. Those born in “outlying possessions” of the United States (and certain of their descendants) are nationals (and entitled to U.S. passports), but are not citizens. Currently, this category includes only American Samoa and Swains Island, but it formerly included the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands (the residents of all of these but the Philippines became U.S. citizens decades ago). There are also a small number of non-citizen U.S. nationals in the Northern Mariana Islands, who had the option of electing this status when citizenship was extended to that territory. In theory, you can also become a non-citizen U.S. national by being born in the U.S. minor outlying islands (e.g., Midway Atoll), none of which have any permanent population, if you weren’t otherwise entitled to citizenship by virtue of your parents’ citizenship.

The distinction between U.S. nationality and citizenship is currently small. U.S. nationals may freely reside and work in the United States and can easily obtain citizenship while living there. Probably the most important difference is that nationality can be revoked by act of Congress (as when the Philippines became independent), while it is essentially impossible to revoke U.S. citizenship obtained by birth.

Sorry for the long tangent.

United States

That’s a really interesting input, Neil_Rubin. And welcome to EuroGA

I guess establishing who exactly can own an N-reg is similarly non-trivial. I always though it had to be the holder of a US passport or a green card.

Administrator

Most recent derogations table as posted in another thread.

Administrator

Peter_G wrote:

“For the moment until April 2018”
Ar least FOUR times in the past we have been told that the deferral was a “definitive” date and this decision was “categorically final”; only to have it retarded at the last moment.
Talk in the bars in Cologne around the EASA HQ is that the next postponement will be ‘indefinite’.
I would just go on using your N plane on FAA papers until categorically you are told you can’t.

The following has been published (reference: 2018/1974)

‘4. By way of derogation from paragraph 1, Member States may decide not to apply the provisions of this Regulation until 20 June 2020, to pilots holding a licence and associated medical certificate issued by a third country involved in the non-commercial operation of aircraft as specified in Article 2(1)(b), points (i) or (ii), of Regulation (EU) 2018/1139. Member States shall make those decisions publicly available.’;

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Amazing but not unexpected…

I wonder what the UK is going to do. The current SRG2140 / SRG2142 business runs only until April 2019.

Do you have the URL, Peter?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message