Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot Apps?

Dimme wrote:

For VFR in Europe there is only one app to use, SkyDemon.

Any will do – Skydemon, EasyVFR, Sky-Map, Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight Europe, AirNavPro, Jeppesen MFDVFR, Avare, etceteras you name it. They all have their specialities, they all have their shortcomings and ranking changes over time. I don’t feel limiting a recommendation to one specific is appropriate without further analysis of the mission profile.

Last Edited by at 18 Feb 19:36

Most of us haven’t tried all the apps. Of the 3 I’ve used, (SD / FF / GP), if I had to pick only one, it would be SD. I currently use SD and FF.
If I flew uniquely IFR, maybe SD wouldn’t be necessary, but I never came to terms using FF VFR (no graphical notams / poor decluttering). I only keep it for Jeppesen – If it wasn’t for that, I would likely have dropped it.

I have seen in action the Jepp VFR app, and EVFR, and all the other ones dejwu mentions).

I find some menus in FF a bit irritating, there is a mix of useless / non relevant pages in europe (when you click on an airport, why have a buttong to give direct access to FBOs, while you need to scroll down half way through a menu to find the approach plates).

My only gripe with SD had been with the occasional support, e.g. a flight not having been logged, a flight plan disappearing, and them always recuse to take any blame / responsibility (even when as a software developper, it seemed they might not be at least all in the right!) – well, and the 2 issues reported above! Oh and lack of auto downloading.

They do seem to add lots of functionality (more useful stuff – at least for europe) than FF.

If / when SD put a bit more effort into IFR (all plates / procedures georeferenced), then I’ll likely just drop FF, unless it has gotten much better.

@Noe: I guess that is the most common route for 2019, Skydemon plus ForeFlight. Usage according to mission profile, i.e. FF is the only solution yet to show German Night Flying routes and restriction areas imported from MILAUP correctly, i.e. Skydemon proprietary charts do have an advantage if only a small smartphone screen is used. In my experience SD plus FF do cover most information VFR&IFR I need, both show different features on the maps, but neither would do alone so far.

Last Edited by at 18 Feb 20:05

Stickandrudderman wrote:

So use the settings to de-clutter it!

Then I lose airspace information. I want to be able to see all airspace and not having it cluttered.

Anyway, it’s a personal preference. We don’t have to agree.

I’m not saying SkyDemon doesn’t have it’s shortcomings, or support issues, it just the best among all evil. There are many things I would have done differently. Again, that’s just my personal preference.

ESME, ESMS

It seems that useful IFR apps for Android tablets are very few if any….?

EKRK, Denmark

Michael_J wrote:

It seems that useful IFR apps for Android tablets are very few if any….?

The more professional it gets, the fewer Android you find … just observation.

dejwu wrote:

The more professional it gets, the fewer Android you find … just observation.

While this is true when comparing a flying application geek (like me) versus a professional pilot, I would say it is like: the more professional you found the less techy it gets

Obviously, except those at the very high end who flies Dreamliner, A320Neo, B737Max or Rafals/Raptors…

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Feb 14:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

RR supports Android Applications..

Ahh. Thanks. Never tried that one.

EKRK, Denmark

Various past discussions on ios versus android. A search term like
ios AND root*
digs out several.

Aviation has gone mostly IOS for various reasons, some historical, some community-cultural…

If I was developing some “online resource” I would work on producing a decent website which can then be accessed with a browser. Not an “app” – this is currently extremely fashionable but is a hostage to fortune with all kinds of issues. On a phone, the user interface forces a severely crippled functionality no matter how you shake it, and an app can’t do any more than a website running in a browser.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message