Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPhone6 Barometer

I don’t think the “dream” of weather mapping (as in the posted link) will ever happen. At least not involuntary.

Too many privacy concerns.

I for one would hate my phone transmitting data, without my consent, for a third-party to make a profit out of it.

Unless they sponsor my telco bill of course!

I for one would hate my phone transmitting data, without my consent, for a third-party to make a profit out of it.

An Iphone has been doing that all along. It sends out a few k every day, through the day.

Apple assume everybody is on an unlimited free connection. If you happen to be on the daft 50p/day (min charge for any data) Virgin PAYG tarriff, and you bought it for phone calls only, you soon discover that the background activity reporting to the Church of Jobs is costing you 15 quid per month.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You just switch off mobile internet – and the iPhone will transmit nothing. One keystroke!

Yes but then you can’t get, ahem, mobile data… no facebook, no twatter = no life, no friends, no meaningful existence. If you are a teenager, definitely no sex either

And if you spend your life hunting down coffee bars with free wifi, the iphone will report back to the church of jobs via the wifi connection…

For most people, worrying about this stuff is just not worth the bother, but it does show that worrying about privacy is a bit pointless these days, unless you completely cut yourself off from other people.

Administrator

I leave it on, always. It’s really ony a problem abroad, and only in some countries. It’s very little data that the iPhone transmit in the background, and that’s only if you LET those apps do it. I had everything ON the whole summer, in NYC and in Greece and the cost was really not bad. (Really different than 8 years ago when I worked a bit on a Croatian Isalnd paid 2000 Euros for mobile fees afterwards …)

But still, I for one would hate my phone transmitting data, without my consent, for a third-party to make a profit out of it.

p.s. Apple isn’t a ‘third party’ as far as I am concerned.

Does the Iphone transmit app usage telemetry data which goes back to app developers?

Lots of windows apps potentially do this and have done for years. It’s astonishing how much comms goes on, when you actually monitor it.

Administrator

No, of course not! That’s really a myth. No data is transmitted to third parties – only if you LET an app do that it will, of course. And sometimes that can be very helpful too.

You can opt in by going to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Share with App Developers

I am aware of those config options but I don’t think they completely block the telemetry.

My girlfriend has had an Iphone 4 for over 4 years. Originally she was on a Virgin UK tarriff which charged 25p per day on which any data was used (up to 25MB). This later rose to 50p/day (up to 25MB). She never used mobile internet, and had the features discussed disabled. Her bill was 25p/day regardless, later rising to 50p/day and at that level it gets quite irritating. The only way was to totally disable mobile data and wifi. Of course later she did what every other Iphone user has done and moved to a tariff where you get data included and then one doesn’t care anymore… The only good thing about that Virgin “PAYG” was that if you had the direct debit payments set up, you had a PAYG SIM with zero admin and no 90-day or 180-day auto SIM expiry, which for a very low level user who almost never makes outgoing calls is priceless (the best present-day solution would be a £5/month contract). Needless to say Virgin no longer offer this tarriff but existing SIMs continue to work.

Whether Android is any better I have no idea.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message