Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Fly-In Survey

Officer, thanks for the suggestion.

We use MailChimp, which is one of the biggest email senders around. We use DKIM, SPF, DomainKeys and SenderID, which in theory should cover all the bases for authenticated mail delivery, but it's not perfect. GMail, who I notice a few of you are using who didn't receive it first time around, use DKIM, SPF and DomainKeys.

There are quite a few email providers (my company included) who will treat anything that looks like a mass mailing as potential spam. If we remove things that make it look like a mailing list, e.g. the unsubscribe information, then we're not complying with best practice, so it's hard to win really.

Best advice is to whitelist and/or add the sender to your address book.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I know that of the order of 2% to 5% of my emails (from peter2000.co.uk) are either dropped or classified as spam.

With recipients on AOL the % is much higher but they pay for that

What is a bit suprising is that the EuroGA mailshot was mailed using Gmail and yet recipients who themselves are on Gmail got it either dropped or dropped into a Gmail spambox.

Unfortunately ISPs are resorting to desperate measures nowadays. At work, we used to run our own mail server and we used to get up to 10k spams per day, against about 20-30 real emails! That is probably fairly normal. Eventually we capitulated and moved the incoming feed to Messagelabs, which for £400/year seem to do a very very good filtering service. But few people want to pay £400/year for spam filtering...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi David,

You're probably right, everybody just need to click once to whitelist the email sender and it should be done. Working with a mailing list provider definitely has it's advantages.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

How you whitelist a sender depends on how you get your email.

If you get it via a webmail service (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, etc) then you need to log into the web interface and make euroga.org a "trusted sender" or something like that. This is true even if you normally collect email via a program (not a browser); you still need to login into the web interface to configure this.

If you get it via a POP box from an ISP then it can be more tricky, because you will have the ISP implementing antispam, and on top of that if you use say Outlook as your email program that will also be implementing its own (crude) antispam. In some cases, sending an email to [email protected] might whitelist that address. Some people will need to access a web interface for their ISP which they never knew existed, to configure this.

Spam is a neverending struggle.... much spam nowadays comes from bots (trojan-infected zombie PCs, belonging to real people, remotely controlled by spammers) which are all on legitimate accounts, so the only way to tell spam usefully is by a given volume of similar emails all appearing at one ISP, within a given time frame.

I was wrong BTW about EuroGA's email coming out via google; it doesn't.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message