Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Using Uber to get from/to airport

So we now have progressed to Germany vs Korea? Sounds more like a football match, but hey, here’s a little story:

Just in the last six weeks I had two rental cars, both for 3 weeks each, one a BMW x3, the other a Hyundai Santa Fe. Both in southern California. While the beemer definitely drives better (would be a shame if it didn’t!), from a creature comfort POV the Hyundai wins hands down. The beemer’s aircon cannot keep up with the temps here, the entertainment system is crap and there aren’t enough cup/bottle holders or places to store things in general. Price difference between the two isn’t huge (the beemer about $ 5k more expensive), but it does make you think for how long German car manufacturers will continue to be able to trade on brand appeal….. (and yes, achim, I know that the real strength of German exports lies in machine tools, specialty chemicals, etc).

I carry disability insurance, and don’t rely on taxi drivers to provide it for me.

But they too will try to recover their cost from the driver. And if he hasn’t got the right insurance, they will go after him personally. I am not sure if every Uberdriver is aware of that.
And not many people carry disability insurance because it has high premiums. And especially the people who use Uber because they can’t afford a proper taxi will not have that kind of cover…

EDDS - Stuttgart

And especially the people who use Uber because they can’t afford a proper taxi will not have that kind of cover…

What next, you just don’t get it, do you: Uber provides the better service! Little to do with money (they are cheaper, but not massively so).

If I had to view my well being as being dependent on a network of laws and insurance extending to every individual I come into contact with, including taxi drivers, I think I’d just kill myself now

What next, you just don’t get it, do you…

I do get it, believe me. But they provide the better service (at lower price) by taking shortcuts and violating rules and laws. It is easy to provide better service if I can use the money I save on taxes and social security and insurance and invest it in my business.

EDDS - Stuttgart

If I had to view my well being as being dependent on a network of laws and insurance extending to every individual I come into contact with, including taxi drivers, I think I’d just kill myself now

Is that a quote from Al Capone?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Its actually quote from a man who feels morally obligated to be individually responsible for himself and family, who values beyond measure the opportunity to do so, who refuses to be fearful of doing so, and who (most importantly) is ethically driven to avoid and disrespect petty interference with others lives and opportunities… except maybe when he can help individually.

So I’m all for Uber and anything like it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Oct 19:40

… is ethically driven to avoid and disrespect petty interference with others lives and opportunities…

But this is the basis of law everywhere. Every legal constraint can be seen as “petty interference” by some. To others it is the basis for equal opportunities for everyone. I tend to see it that way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Uber insurance situation in the US- (don’t know about Germany)

To others it is the basis for equal opportunities for everyone.

In the context of taxi concession, surely you jest. This is one of the worst cases of what effectively is a cartel with mafiose structures. Politicians keeping taxi numbers artificially low (against some, ahem, incentives?), taxi licenses bought and sold for outrageous prices, etc. License to print money, of course they don’t like Uber. If you want to provide an example where rules and regulations create a level playing field, fine. The taxi industry it ain’t.

PS: at least L.A. seems to have seen the light. They are currently proposing to de-regulate the taxi industry as a response to Uber, not the other way round. You can only hide under a rock for so long…..

PS: at least L.A. seems to have seen the light. They are currently proposing to de-regulate the taxi industry as a response to Uber, not the other way round. You can only hide under a rock for so long…..

Well, frankly, deregulation isn’t the answer to everything. Sweden completely deregulated the taxi business in 1990. While this meant that the number of available taxis went up, it also had the effect that some small (typically one-driver) taxi companies have enormously inflated prices. It is not unheard of for people taking a taxi from Arlanda airport to central Stockholm to pay 10 times (or even more) the “normal” fare (which is about €60 for a 40 km trip).

If customers complain they are simply told that the business is deregulated and that fares are posted in a standardised form both inside and outside each car. That’s certainly true, but how many unprepared international travelers know how to look for that? The reason these companies get away with it is that it is unlikely that they will encounter the same customer twice. Since locals know to stay away, it is easier to get one of their taxis when demand is high.

The problem is big enough that the chamber of commerce, tourist organisations etc. fear for the city’s reputation.

I personally never take a taxi in Sweden which is not from a large well-known company. I might not get the lowest fare, but on the other hand I am certain not to be ripped off.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Oct 10:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message