Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tannkosh fly-in cancelled

I’m very sad to hear that there won’t be another Tannkosh, not this year and not in the future. Tannkosh was by far Europe’s largest fly-in with 1400 aircraft and 15 000 visitors last time.

Officially the reasoning is “we’ve achieved everything we’ve always wanted” but in reality it’s most likely the accident in 2013 where a vintage aircraft lost control during takeoff and went through the sidelines where people camped. Nobody died but it was with a lot of luck.

I always considered Tannkosh to be the best event of all…

Last Edited by achimha at 27 Oct 13:48

That is sad news. It might be really optimistic thinking but www.tannkosh.de is still showing 20 until 23 August 2015 for the next event.

A very sad piece of news. I still have good memories (the vintage crash aside) of 2013!!!!

EDHS, Germany

Very sad indeed, it was a huge genuine fly-in rather than a trade show, and a lot of fun, and a place to accidentally reconnect with those you lost contact with a while ago.

However, looking at the achievements of EuroGA since its inception, I hope it’s the right forum to start a dialogue potentially leading to a new XXXXkosh!

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Next one is gone as well! :( All the great Fly Ins I wanted to see are cancelled. Never attended any one of them but always wanted to go… shit.

Hahnweide 2015 cancelled due to increasing regulations and cost that come along with. Hahnweide might come back though at some point they say on the website.
Link

Last Edited by Andi at 27 Oct 15:52
EDAV, Germany

I guess the Aero Friedrichshafen organisers (who have seen a massive decline in attendance over the last few years) are rubbing their hands…

In most cases, there is a winner for every loser and this is very true in GA generally which is why we have so many intractable issues.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Don’t think so. Aero and Tannkosh really have zero overlap.

@Ultranomad: I think a successor to Tannkosh would best take place in the Czech Republic. You have a large grass root community in aviation there, long tradition of private aviation as a hobby, great infrastructure, etc.

There may be a very small overlap in the products on display, but there is a social-gathering overlap.

Let’s face it – almost nothing exhibited at EDNY changes from one year to the next. I go there to meet up with people, and if I have Justine with me then we take a boat across the lake, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@achimha: This is all true, plus good traditions in outdoor festivals. I can think of at least 5-6 aerodromes potentially suitable for such an event.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I think a successor to Tannkosh would best take place in the Czech Republic. You have a large grass root community in aviation there, long tradition of private aviation as a hobby, great infrastructure, etc.

I would love to go to such an event, and it does seem like Czech has the right combination of factors to do it well.

Jack Roush stalled & crashed his biz jet right in front of me at Oshkosh, and then it came sliding and spinning past me on the grass, breaking in two before it stopped. The most notable thing to me was that the event didn’t slow down at all.

Sad for those who love this kind of event – myself don’t, I hate crowds. Of course I am aware that some sights can only be seen at mass gatherings, but for that I think I would much prefer the main UK events.

What I never liked about the Tannkosh event is the name. Nice and sympathetic as the initiative is/was/may have been, it never compared in any way to Oshkosh. It always reminded me of the old joke about the mouse and the elephant walking through the desert; then the mouse, looking back over his shoulder, exclaims “Look Master Elephant, what a cloud of dust WE are making!”

I have been at the airfield a couple of times, it looked quite a nice place, good restaurant, too – but one should realise one’s place in the world when choosing a name.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message