Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Holding an FAA standalone license and a 61.75 license concurrently

We discussed this only a few days ago.

Well… a well known character on the scene, an FAA DPE who has exclusive rights for

(and whose business I am not going to promote on this site due to having received legal threats from him, but regulars on the N-reg scene know where to find him)

is either a diligent reader of EuroGA or has a mate who is, and this has just popped up on his website

I have no opinion on this matter, but clearly there is more than one opinion out there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Although it doesn’t apply to me, I’m always curious

So here goes, straight from the FAA:

here [ local copy ]

Scroll down to page three, para three (copy and paste doesn’t work, totally screws the formatting, must be the pdf format)

Holy moly, Mr DPE’s website is an assault on the senses!

That is true in the way he wrote it. If you have a stand alone you can’t get a new 61.75. But if you have a 61.75, you can get a standalone and retain the 61.75. I reported the FAA document in the last thread.

And the person you mention is not the only DPE in Europe. Adam House is available and very easy to deal with. He is also an FAA employee. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/ifo/nyc_ifu/dpe/

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Nov 14:28
EGTK Oxford

Adam House has been around for years but he always did only helicopters and bizjets, not piston GA. Many have tried him. Is he doing piston GA now?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He issued my 61.75. Not done a flight test with him.

EGTK Oxford

Why would someone want a standalone FAA and a 61.75? Is it because you can assume privileges based on the foreign (AKA European) license and apply them to your 61.75, whereas for a standalone they have to be issued in their own right and that might require additional tests/signoff?

For FAA BFR’s I have used a guy called Iwan Potma (www.ipaviation.com) who at the time was local to South East UK and is a very nice chap.

I have a 61.75 PPL with multi engine privileges. I only have single engine on my standalone as I did the CPL test in the Meridian. So I would want to keep the 61.75 in case I need it. I could of course have done the CPL test in a twin, but I didn’t.

EGTK Oxford

I am the other way around from Jason.

I had a 61.75 licence, which is SE and ME because that’s what my UK licence is. I then did an FAA IR which shows as Instrument Airplane (US test passed) on that licence. I used that licence to fly N reg in Europe for years.
When we got an aircraft that needed a Type Rating I did the TR course and also did the CPL exam, so after the TR Checkride I was issued a stand alone CPL/IR with the type on it. I have subsequently added another TR to that certificate. However as the CPL test was in a ME aircraft the certificate is only ME

I keep the 61.75 because it includes SE privileges, and both certificates appear on the FAA database against my name.

Last Edited by Neil at 10 Nov 17:36
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message