Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Jet (combined thread)

Story about the Cirrus Jet here

Wonder how much of a market there will be for a small, single engine jet?

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

There's a lot of frustration already that some of the very reliable single-engine turboprops can't be used for public transport operations. It seems a shame to me that CAPS-equipped aircraft can't be given an exemption. If they were, I suspect the market for the aircraft would be a lot bigger. It would also be a lot less wasteful than having all these twin-engined mini-airliners flying around almost empty.

Priced at $829,000, the SR22T boasts the flight characteristics and handling similar to the jet, according to company officials.

What a load of BS! Maybe they have developed a mechanism for the power throttle where it puts in a 3 second delay before it reacts to power changes?

Other than the author of the article needing a new photo, I think they mean that the Vision inspired SR22T shares the styling of the jet. At that price get a good used Meridian for half the cost.

EGTK Oxford

here

It is non-RVSM so FL280 max. This I really don’t understand because RVSM avionics don’t cost that much more – looking at RVSM factory option pricing on say the TBM (and Socata are masters at charging for stuff) it is probably low 5 figures extra which is nothing on a $2M aircraft, and the FL280 ceiling costs a lot in fuel burn on a jet.

Also at 300kt max, the TBM seems better in every respect. What am I missing? I guess the TBM costs a lot more and doesn’t have a parachute!

They claim to have sold hundreds of pre-paid positions.

From the Cirrus website:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What am I missing?

If does not have prop, this is all that matters. If there is one differentiation between aircraft it is the prop / jet thing. For non pilots a King Air or TBM is the same as a C172 while a Cirrus Jet will be regarded as a smaller version of a Gulfstream.

From a performance point of view such a jet will probably not outperform the SET planes but that does not matter. The market will choose the Jet. This has happened before with the twin engine turboprops. The faster ones could match the speed of slower jets but what did the customers buy? Maybe just the ability to say “I own a private jet” will be enough marketing to sell many of those planes.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

If the final version of “the jet” resembles the mock-up then the interior will be very comfortable for any pilot who is not a midget.

EBST, Belgium

It’s like when I talked to the ex-Avantair Piaggio P180 Avanti captain: Customers loved it, it was cheaper than a jet, just as roomy, just as fast, but when they pulled up to that meeting with other bigwigs at the end of the day, it was still a “little cute prop plane”. Appearances matter more than anyone thinks. Especially at a certain level.

It’s funny to observe cultural differences…

I have a customer in the UK to where I have sometimes flown (5-8hrs by car, 1hr by TB20) and I had to lie about flying up. They did find out so I just said I rent it for the day. They employ a former gangster (my opinion, from my dealings with him) in Bulgaria to screw their suppliers – anybody doing any price increase, even 0.1%, is instantly removed from their approved supplier list – and they have just bought a nice jet

Here in the UK, the minimum level where you want to be seen to have a plane (even a C152) is when visiting hedge fund managers (and similar types). They love that sort of thing. A plane means you must be successful which means you must be very good.

But seriously, I would expect any private buyer at this level to have a rational brain, and Europe needs a versatile aircraft. And – and I fully realise one cannot compare new with used because entirely different psychology operates – the $2M will get you a very nice used TBM850. Or a very nice CJ. Some 95-99% of business jets are flown by a paid crew, but this aircraft is aimed at owner pilots. If they are going for the private owner pilot market, they will need to work harder to sell a lot in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I agree with Sebastian.

I remember when Crossair was flying the Saab 2000. What an airplane, still today my very favorite turboprop commuter.

370 kts, quiet cabin, economical as hell (used HALF the fuel the Embraer 135 used on the same route)….

yet pax looked at it as if asked to board a DC3… (as if that is a bad thing but well….)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
827 Posts
Sign in to add your message