Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

JasonC wrote:

You mean pork and beef?

Yes, of course! I had a blackout searching for the English terms, so I translated literally. In German Schweinefleisch and Rindfleisch have no connotations, they are just descriptive terms.

Ibra wrote:

Do you take students canteen/health for benchmark? I did 6 months of “Steak & Frittes” at Uni, I only stopped when the kitchen guy refused to serve me and asked to vary by getting something healthy from the other stand

No of course not, students canteen can never be the benchmark, as they are at “the bottom of the food chain”. I just found his observation of having “four menus with pork and one with beef for variation” hilarious.

As previously mentioned in this thread, I am not vegetarian, nor do I advocate omitting meat from one’s diet.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

It is common now to say cow meat rather than beef to imply guilt to those who eat it.

Never come across that one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

It is common now to say cow meat rather than beef to imply guilt to those who eat it. Nothing to do with English as a first language.

It has everything to do with mastery of the nuances of English, and comparison to other languages. English is the only language I know that consistently calls animals by a different name depending on whether you pet them or eat them. Pork vs Pig/Swine, Beef vs Cattle/Cow, Veal vs Calf, Mutton vs Sheep, etc.

In German, “pork” is just “pig meat”, literally. “Beef” is just “Cattle Meat”, literally.

French is a bit more muddled up for Pork-Pig; some natives of France will use “porc” for meat and “cochon” for the animal one pets, but the proper meaning of “porc” is the subspecies “Sus scrofa domesticus”, the domestic pig (“cochon domestique”), and the proper meaning of “cochon” is “pig” (I think, in English), a generic name for the species that encompasses the wild boar (“sanglier”) and the domestic pig. See https://www.differenceentre.fr/porc-cochon

But French stays rather straightforward for beef-cattle and mutton-sheep. The animal one pets or that pulls one’s plow (the castrated male) is “bœuf” and so is the cooked meat in your plate (even if it actually comes from a female). I now remember English has yet a third name for that one, “ox”. The immature young bovine is “veau”, and so is the meat. The “Ovis Aries” one pets is “mouton” for the adult and “agneau” for the immature young, and so it the meat (although commercially, “mouton” meat may be passed for “agneau”).

Last Edited by lionel at 20 Feb 07:35
ELLX

Thanks Lionel, interesting. Not sure whether i’ll be able to memorize all that, but i now know where to look it up

Now that this threat has drifted from veg to meat (not my fault), does anyone know why a slow plane is called a ‘dog’?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

While MedEwok’s choice of words were certainly influenced by his native German, I agree with JasonC that the use of the term “cow meat” is sometimes used to imply guilt.

Also, English is not the only language to use different words for the animal and the meat. Swedish does, too. (And without French influence.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Feb 08:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

Yes, of course! I had a blackout searching for the English terms, so I translated literally. In German Schweinefleisch and Rindfleisch have no connotations, they are just descriptive terms.

Wasn’t meaning to be critical of you but had just finished watching some extinction rebellion nutter (native English speaker) being interviewed where they used the same terms to clearly criticise anyone who even looked at a sausage.

EGTK Oxford

the use of the term “cow meat” is sometimes used to imply guilt.

In which country? Not here in the UK, where I have lived since 1969. I’ve never heard of it. I couldn’t find anything on google either.

XR are nutters, but the fashion will pass by, like most fashions. XR get national media time, along with certain other groups, because they go about their business aggressively, and they cleverly align themselves with groups and trends which are currently unfashionable to criticise. And they are riding on the back of the climate change stuff which dominates the media nowadays.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When is a vegan a vegan. Heard last night that a vegan can’t eat honey or any fruit or vegetables pollinated by domesticated (I will call them that because they live in man made hives) bees, such as avocados, squash, and they also can not drink wine.
Source BBC QI.

France

aart wrote:

does anyone know why a slow plane is called a ‘dog’?

Let me guess get dragged in calm days and when it is a bumpy day it is goes “Rougfff” (rough)?

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Feb 11:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

and they also can not drink wine.

That, right there, is why I shall never be a vegan…

Sign in to add your message