Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

No sh*t Sherlock comes to mind...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think this is a fairly common issue among pilots…

A year or two ago I fixed mine with hibiscus tea – example

I found a teabag a day of the stuff knocks off 10 points both the top and bottom figure, within a few weeks. No need for those nasty drugs with the nasty side effects!

Administrator

Is there any actual scientific evidence this would work?
What does the stuff taste like?

Egnm, United Kingdom

There is little scientific evidence (in terms of a clear causal relationship, understood at the molecular level, with an international consensus) for stuff to do with what you eat and what happens to you after you ate it, in the long term

I think they have only recently proved that smoking causes cancer…

What you have is loads of correlations which turn up in population studies suggesting that such and such might do such and such, but rigorous research is hard because there are so many other factors which cannot be feasibly excluded, and most of it takes too long.

There is some evidence for habiscus and blood pressure (do a google e.g. wiki) so I gave it a go.

Taste is, shall we say, a matter of opinion I quite like it.

Last Edited by Peter at 13 Dec 16:41
Administrator

Yes, hibiscus does work, although just like with synthetic antihypertensive drugs, its efficacy may vary from person to person. It tastes fruity and sour, quite nice both hot and cold, and is a very popular drink in Egypt and some other countries.

Another tasty natural antihypertensive is aronia, a.k.a. chokeberry or “black rowan”. The berries themselves are a bit too tart to eat, but they make excellent jam and a still better fruit wine – I remember my grandfather making a demijohn of it almost every year. You can also freeze the berries to make them sweeter.

Green tea does not directly affect blood pressure but it improves your cardiovascular status by strengthening your blood vessels.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 13 Dec 16:48
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

My Dad had quite severe high blood pressure a couple of years ago (it was picked up when he went to renew his motorcycle racing license, the doctor actually wanted to call an ambulance to take him away). The doctor was falling over himself to prescribe drugs to control it (which would put an end to any hopes of a racing medical) and my Dad refused – he managed to control it with diet alone, cutting out all the fried breakfasts, watching salt intake, and being careful about eating healthy foods most of the time. The doctor was very surprised with the results – my Dad went from a borderline cardiac emergency down to normal for his age in a matter of weeks merely by changing his diet. (He tests his blood pressure once a week at home now he knows he has a potential problem.)

Andreas IOM

Hmmm, why am I completely not suprised to read that?

Change your food a bit, perhaps your lifestyle a bit too, and most of the drug companies will go out of business.

It’s a very resonant story – of our era.

Administrator

I have a normal pressure 110/75 except I go for the medical checkup. Then it rises to 145/90.

EDXQ

it raises further with the invoice. lol

United Kingdom

My BP has been 120/80 since ever I remember. Frustrates the HELL out of my flight suregon who is so darn sure he can ground me due to my overweight. Yet, neither cholesterol, sugar, BP or other bits cooperate :)… my former GP, a good friend, once sent me a SMS saying if I could come by because he needed to re-calibrate the BP measuring device.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message