Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

My cholesterol is 0.5 which in UK measurements works out at under 2

Which cholesterol is that? For total, that would be amazing (4 is very good, and achievable only via a really strict veg diet, or with statins).

and I love cheese and with over 365 different French cheese varieties to choose from I will admit it’s a hardship.:)

There is non-dairy cheese but most of it tastes awful. You can buy good stuff but it is really pricey. J and I went on a course on making it. It can be done well, with a major limitation that to achieve a result which can be poured hot over say pizza (like normal cheese can) you use a large amount of oil, usually from nuts, and that is excessive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the UK you divide your total cholesterol figure by the HDL cholesterol (the bad stuff) to get your cholesterol measure. Anything above 5.5 and you need to do something about it.
Below 5 is okay. I think that’s how it’s done.
In France you just take the LDL(good cholesterol figure). I admit to having to work hard to get it down. Each person has their own individual target based on their risk factors. Eg Heart problems within your parents or grandparents, smoking, weight, excessive alcohol etc.
My target figure is under 1 given my risk factors and my wife’s is under 2. However my main cardiologist is very strict and if I get up to 0.8 or in fact any increase from year to year, she insists on an effort test and sticks me on a bike with loads of wires attaching me to a computer. I hate it, so I try and keep my cholesterol down.

Last Edited by gallois at 21 Oct 08:54
France

BeechBaby wrote:

Humans life expectancy is probably equal to centuries ago. The difference is medical intervention. Drugs keep the codgers alive, not food…..

What is life expectancy anyway. The older you get, the longer you can expect to live Even the vikings lived to be old, that is, the ones who managed to stay alive. Harald Fairhair lived to be 82 (died in 942 AD). Eric Bloodaxe lived to be 70+ etc. The average age was around 30-40, but 1/3 died already before 20. The same can be seen from 2-300 years ago as well. The average age was around 30-40, but people lived to be 70-80-90.

The main difference today and previous ages was a whole bunch of people died relatively young due to diseases, accidents, war etc. Only the lucky ones survived to even have a chance of becoming old. Some places and at some ages, people could also die due to poor food of course, and too little food. If that’s the case, then no one survives to be 80.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Look up chicken and prostate cancer… Chicken is just about the worst meat.

There are significant health benefits to eating chicken as part of your diet so I cannot let the above stand. Im sorry but the balance of opinion on the topic of only prostate cancer (as opposed to other benefits) you have brought up does not support your blanket statement that chicken is the worst meat.

I shall not comment on the moral debate of eating animals/birds/fish etc. I respect your choice to not eat meat and “Go Veg”, Im interested in different ways to eat veg and appreciate your posts about this, but please respect my choice to not be as limited in my nutritional options.

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 21 Oct 12:33

Peter wrote:

Look up chicken and prostate cancer… Chicken is just about the worst meat.

The first hit when I did that: “However, consumption of baked poultry was inversely associated with advanced prostate cancer. Meaning, those who ate baked poultry had a lower incidence of aggressive, potentially metastatic disease.”

Not that I put much credence in this kind of web pages.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

FWIW, I am not “not eating meat” for ideological / animal rights reasons. I do it (to the extent reasonably possible) to reduce inflammatory factors, the intake of hormones which promote cancer growth, etc. The evidence supporting this is overwhelming, even though one can always dig up a report contradicting it (or anything else). I want to be flying and mountain biking, or at least walking up hills, when I am 80

Administrator

LeSving wrote:

What is life expectancy anyway.

Typically if not specified otherwise “life expectancy” is used as abbreviation for “life expectancy at birth”.

Germany

Peter wrote:

The evidence supporting this is overwhelming, even though one can always dig up a report contradicting it (or anything else).

Sorry, that is outright BS – and as in the example of chicken if one disqualifies scientific meta-studies with hundreds of thousands of lives evaluated as “some report” it is hard to argue against such prejudice. If you look at nutrition science, it is without any realistic dispute that the most healthy diet for humans (as for almost all other primates as well) does include some share of animal proteins. Obviously not the massive amounts as in the average European diets these days and obviously not the industrially manufactured cheap meat one can buy at the local ASDA.
Btw.: if you buy “the wrong” vegetables you will also end up with getting lots of pesticides, heavy metals and other toxic substances into your body that are not particularly healthy as well.

It is a personal choice to not eat any meat (for whatever reason) which I respect. I just wonder, why so many of the people who made it seem to feel so insecure about this choice that they have to promote fake news about diets that include meat.

Germany

I offer that you require to be Whole Food, plant based and with that you will require some animal based protein intake. If the bulk of your dietary intake was say fruit, veg, wholegrain, nuts and seeds and legumes you are on your way to the nirvana. If you were to add fish to this, then all the better. I would have no comment regarding meat/chicken/fowl. It is a self preference where oils and protein come from.

Edit to add……..cut out all sugar and processed food as is practical and I would suggest you may have a healthy lifestyle diet.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 21 Oct 16:14
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I thought this was quite funny

and now google for a pic of a furred-up artery, and spot the similarity

For those who are looking for a way to replace meat with something healthy, mushrooms are wonderful. A very similar texture to fillet steak.

And shitaki mushrooms are especially nice

Administrator
Sign in to add your message