Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Battery minder / conditioner

OK thanks, that explains it BUT why would something (the cigarette lighter) be left live with the battery master OFF? Surely that could be a real issue in the event of a short circuit when airborne?

UK, United Kingdom

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

BUT why would something (the cigarette lighter) be left live with the battery master OFF?

So it can be used to connect a battery conditioner? It will be CB or fuse protected to protect against a simple short circuit

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Originally – the current draw from a cigarette lighter is quite high, so having it bypass the master relay(s) helps keeping the relay specs down, both with regard to continuous and switching currents. Also, the cigarette lighter being wired that way was standard in cars at the time, and even in modern cars tends to be always-on, so it might have just been a habit when the electrical systems were designed.

More recently – all manufacturers must be aware that the cigarette lighter is really a power socket (at a much lower price than any other certified power socket could ever be, by accident) and they treat it that way.

Biggin Hill

I have an electric powered aircraft tug ( from RedBox) which has 2 × 12v batteries. The charger is now u/s so does anyone have a surplus one to sell and/or can anyone please suggest a source for a replacement?

Many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

Post moved to existing thread.

I would suggest the CTEK unit mentioned higher above. It really does work very well. You can just see it in my last pic above, to the left of the battery.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any ideas how long should a reconditioning charger like the CTEK be run for in the RECOND mode? Hours or days?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any ideas how long should a reconditioning charger like the CTEK be run for in the RECOND mode? Hours or days?

QuoteWhen choosing the recond-mode, the charger will first charge your battery up to full-charged. When this is done the charger will start the Recond …
The charger reconditions the battery btw 30min and 4 hours depending on the need of the battery.
Once the Recond is done, the charger will switch to maintenance mode. The Recond-lamp will still be on …
Maintenance charge -Pulse … the battery receives a pulse when the voltage has dropped to a predefined level. This keeps the battery in trim when not in use.
The charger could be connected for months at a time. Check the water level in the battery if possi

(from CTEK user’s manual)

In other words the reconditioning is only done once even if you leave it on the selected push button mode and the recond indicator light is lit. I don’t think it’s necessary to recond the battery in short intervalls but you would have to recycle the buttons or switch it off / on to start a new recond. cycle.
I have my charger (24V) in use almost all winters long since 2011 on a Gill battery. Usually in normal mode. Battery still works great.

Last Edited by nobbi at 11 Feb 14:59
EDxx, Germany

Peter wrote:

I read the manual of the CTEK MSX 10EC which I ordered and it says that AGM batteries (AFAIK the Concorde batteries are all AGM) should not be run in RECOND mode due.

LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

I was about to buy this product for my 12 volt Concorde battery:
https://www.batteryminders.com/

But I was told they are designed for the US (110 volt) and I would need a transformer for use in Europe. Anyone have a recommendation for a similar product (aviation, not car battery recharger) for use in Europe? Also, can these rechargers be transported in checked luggage on commercial flights.

Tököl LHTL

You can order 220V versions with Batteryminder directly. I did so and am happy will it.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
Sign in to add your message