Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Battery minder / conditioner

@WhiskeyPapa posts moved to existing thread. The CTEK unit is excellent

I reckon it pays for itself in extending the life of the Concorde battery; nowadays these are quite pricey.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have a Noco Genius, 3500 I believe, shared between plane, cars and motorcycles. Comes in both EU and US voltages, the EU one at a significant premium to US versions when on sale.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

terbang wrote:

You can order 220V versions with Batteryminder directly. I did so and am happy will it.

They say their aviation-specific units are not any more available in 220V versions. However, I just ordered a 220V-to-110V stepdown transformer (also available on Amazon).

ELLX

This is weird.

Firstly, what is “aviation-specific”? I don’t think aircraft batteries are any different in their fundamentals to car batteries.

Secondly, it is daft to not make a wide input range (100-250V AC) product. The technology for doing that is trivial nowadays. All the chargers use the same switch-mode designs.

Administrator

They say that aviation lead-acid batteries have more acid, and thus require lower voltage on charge, and are being overcharged by a standard charger. See https://www.batteryminders.com/why-an-aviation-specific-charger-maintainer/

Whether they are right, whether the effect is big enough to care, I don’t know first hand.

The Batteryminder units even use different voltages for different battery brand/models.

Last Edited by lionel at 25 Dec 12:19
ELLX

I use a ctek, on mine, and am happy with it, although I’ll probably only put it on once or twice a year.

Can these things be carried in checked baggage? In US now….

Tököl LHTL

Yes; on holidays I often travel with a big multi output USB charger.

Administrator
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message