Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Battery minder / conditioner

Yes; on holidays I often travel with a big multi output USB charger.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can these things be carried in checked baggage? In US now….

Tököl LHTL

I use a ctek, on mine, and am happy with it, although I’ll probably only put it on once or twice a year.

They say that aviation lead-acid batteries have more acid, and thus require lower voltage on charge, and are being overcharged by a standard charger. See https://www.batteryminders.com/why-an-aviation-specific-charger-maintainer/

Whether they are right, whether the effect is big enough to care, I don’t know first hand.

The Batteryminder units even use different voltages for different battery brand/models.

Last Edited by lionel at 25 Dec 12:19
ELLX

This is weird.

Firstly, what is “aviation-specific”? I don’t think aircraft batteries are any different in their fundamentals to car batteries.

Secondly, it is daft to not make a wide input range (100-250V AC) product. The technology for doing that is trivial nowadays. All the chargers use the same switch-mode designs.

Administrator

terbang wrote:

You can order 220V versions with Batteryminder directly. I did so and am happy will it.

They say their aviation-specific units are not any more available in 220V versions. However, I just ordered a 220V-to-110V stepdown transformer (also available on Amazon).

ELLX

We have a Noco Genius, 3500 I believe, shared between plane, cars and motorcycles. Comes in both EU and US voltages, the EU one at a significant premium to US versions when on sale.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

@WhiskeyPapa posts moved to existing thread. The CTEK unit is excellent

I reckon it pays for itself in extending the life of the Concorde battery; nowadays these are quite pricey.

Administrator

You can order 220V versions with Batteryminder directly. I did so and am happy will it.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I was about to buy this product for my 12 volt Concorde battery:
https://www.batteryminders.com/

But I was told they are designed for the US (110 volt) and I would need a transformer for use in Europe. Anyone have a recommendation for a similar product (aviation, not car battery recharger) for use in Europe? Also, can these rechargers be transported in checked luggage on commercial flights.

Tököl LHTL
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message