Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter operations / lowest temperature for starting / preheating methods (merged)

Sebastian, where did you source the heaters from?

The device is called “Wilms EL3”. I do not remember the dealer but I just searched on Google and there are a number of vendors. Sometimes there are also used ones on ebay. It is very well build and with 3kW the biggest you can run on a normal power outlet. If you use two of those you have to use two separate power outlets. Else the fuse of the power outlet will probably burn.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Vielen Dank!

Sebastian, sweet solution with the Wilms packs! But how, and in what material, did you construct the white plugs/connectors that are fitted into the cowling?

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

But how, and in what material, did you construct the white plugs

That is just some 50mm foam which can be purchased in hardware stores. You could probably even cut an old foam mattress. The plug had two purposes. It keeps the heat in the cowling and keeps the hot air tube in place. If using it on a regular basis one could probably find an even better material which is fire retardant.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thats one of the things I was surprised at is the lack of electric plugs available on or near the ramp in Europe.

My understanding is that if it is very cold -5 and below even if you can start the engine due to the diff coef of expansion between between different metals in the engine you will decrease an engines life by hundreds of hours. If cold enough you will ruin the engine.

So in the states as well as here in Europe if its below 4 c I preheat the plane. I have Reiff heating system Turbo edition. The thing is I need to have a transformer to plug the Reiff into to dec from 220 to 110. They dont make 220 systems. A 750 transformer does the job nicely. I have an insulator for the prop and cowl plugs. I have a custom blanket but so far have not needed it . Was going to use it for Greenland but wasnt cold enough.

Where ever I fly I ask to have a tie down near an electric socket. I have 40m of electric cord which usually suffices. I make arrangements ahead of time to have the lineman plug it in the night before departure. If everything is done right and I have a warm engine for departure I nice tip is waiting for the lineman.

By the way I also have an electric heater I set up in the cockpit aimed under the istr panel. I plug that in when I get to the airport. A 2hr preheat and I dont have any gyro problems.

KHTO, LHTL
Very low temperature like -20 degrees C reduces the clearance in a main bearing of , say 60mm, only about 0,03mm. So I don´t see a problem with that, as I guess 0,06mm may be standard at 20 degree C . If you think pistons, they will be even sloppier at low temps, so enough time to warm up in a steel cylinder, not different to car or truck engines in winter. I only see problems with the oil that will not splash around in the crank case to lubricate all parts well, like cylinders. A multigrade would help, but not great for long times of sitting in the hangar, drying down much more than monograde. We don´t fly a lot per year, definitely no need to do that in winter, so the plane is at rest for half a year each year, no problem. Vic
vic
EDME

If the forecasts remain stable, I’ll be starting my 912 next Saturday, after sitting still since December. Temperature should be slightly freezing. I can’t help wondering about possible precautions…

-) I have no electrical heater available, neither do I trust the power plugs in the hangar
-) in a case of dire need I could slip a torch and a bottle of gas onto the apron, but I don’t like sneaking and don’t think the need is that bad
-) will certainly bring a battery charger and hang it on the battery to make sure it is in optima forma, for the given temperature
-) also I will surely turn the prop over a few turns by hand, to break to oil film, perhaps repeat that a few times with a few minutes in between, even if only to make myself feel “as right as possible”

Any other suggestions?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Where ever I fly I ask to have a tie down near an electric socket.

In Europe, you can be lucky if there is a tie down!…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

nice tip is waiting for the lineman.

The last “lineman” I saw must have been in Canada ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I suppose starting a 912, Thielert, or Austro engine by -25 does no more harm than when starting your Mercedes class A or B engine in the same environment. Plenty of those North of 60° North.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message