Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2014 aircraft shipments

I think the issue there is the more complex the aircraft the harder it is to refurbish. So more Barons are scrapped and replaced than Bonanzas.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Feb 19:59

By the way, I have no clue why they didn’t sell a single Skylane, not even non-Turbo.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This is just an observation (after all, I fly an SEP myself, and I could afford to fly a piston twin if I had to) but there is a number of twin pilots who always pop up whenever twins get criticised on forums and they enjoy having what they see as the last laugh in these debates.

I am sure a couple of them will be along in a moment

They correctly point out that they have deicing and radar, which among the pistons only the PA46 has.

So, with the spare engine, it isn’t a wholly irrational position.

They have a much higher mission capability (for when you just have to go and bore a hole in whatever wx you find on the way) than 99% of SEPs.

Isn’t the Seneca still in production, technically?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

By the way, I have no clue why they didn’t sell a single Skylane, not even non-Turbo.

Lots available used, easy to keep flying indefinitely.

Barons are bought by traditionalists who appreciate the build quality and the nice performance. It is still a very nice airplane, just the price is a little bit ridicuolus …

But (in my opinion) the biggest market the two seat basic trainer C150 replacement. There is simply no commercially viable replacement available.

This really needs to change

My guess is that Cessna decided the 172 will do the 150’s job in PPL training, with the advantages of

• being OK for ab initio IFR work too
  • being more or less legal with two “modern-size” adults (which a C150 isn’t)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman,

Like it or not, an (American-built) CS-23 Cessna 152 would cost almost 300.000 $ when equipped. It just wouldn’t sell. Flight schools go for the 400.000 $ C172 instead.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Feb 20:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well, Cessna tried to get back into the 152 market with with the Skycatcher “162” … only that the execution of that plan was miserable

Interesting figures I must say.

If we eliminate all airplanes in this list which are not typically private GA, that is SEP/MEP for private or club/school use, the picture shows a rather bleak picture for overall GA. All year around, approximately 1100 airframes were sold delivered world wide. That is next to nothing in comparison to the amount of airplanes flying in GA.

So in piston singles the winners are pretty obvious:

1: Cirrus SR22T with 160 units
2: Cessna 172SP with 155 units
3: Diamond DA40 with 136 units
4: Cirrus SR22 with 117 units.

The PA28 managed to still sell 56 units altogether (Warrior, Archer and Arrow).

The Malibu series with the Mirage, Matrix and Meridian managed 84 units in total, followed by the PC12 which sold its yearly production out again at 66 units and the TBM900 at 50. Altogether, the high performance 6+ seaters managed 200 units.

The Mooney figure of 1 delivered unit was expected, that must have been the first airframe sold at auction. The first of the 17 Chinese orders has been delivered in 2015 already, so those will appear on the 15 census together with the 10 orders they have from elsewhere.

No other airframe managed to crack the 100 units figure.

With MEP´s the figures are even bleaker:

The “winner” is the DA42 with 50 units.
Runner up the venerable Baron with 40 units.
And then there is the Seminole with 22 units, beating the
Tecnam 2006T with 21 units.
And finally the Seneca V with 10 units.

So 122 units in total? Not exactly a big number for a whole range of airplanes.

My personal surprises?

The Cessna 172 is still a very strong contender in a very weak market.
The Baron and Bonanzas have a small but constant followership.
The Seminole selling 22 was a real surprise, I was not even aware they were still in production. Particularly as they outsold (well, by one) the much cheaper to operate Tecnam 2006T is a surprise. The training market for twins seem to have gone to Diamond with the DA42, no surprise there.

A real surprise is the delivery of 12 Eclipse 550 jets. It appears that this company really managed to turn itself around and has a good customer base together with the “Total Eclipse” upgrades. So the entry level jet is not really as dead as people claimed.

Yet, the whole market has established itself on a very low level. 1100 new GA planes is a very low figure, expeccially if you look at the normal GA segment of 4 seated trainer/traveler planes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message