Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Have you ever fallen asleep while flying?

Think Michael ment to say, will anyone who uses their real name as opposed to some fictitious name and can have his insurance or certificate yanked if they state that yes they fell asleep.

Or have to do a sleep apnea study costing $10 of 1000s of $ because the FAA would mandate it.

KHTO, LHTL

I noticed on my last medical one of the (mandatory) questions was: do you ever feel tired or wanting to go to sleep when you’re behind the controls.

Wondered what would happen if I answered that question with “YES”.

This is about Sleep Apnea . The FAA and other Aviation agencies around the world have woken up to the fact that millions of people, mostly middle-aged men, suffer from some form of Sleep Apnea and consequently, they are falling asleep on the job.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It does “help” to be obese, which is a big issue these days, especially in the USA where the sleep apnea business started off.

Well, clearly, you can’t because the whole world will collapse on you if you do… (usual disclaimers apply)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is about Sleep Apnea . The FAA and other Aviation agencies around the world have woken up to the fact that millions of people, mostly middle-aged men, suffer from some form of Sleep Apnea and consequently, they are falling asleep on the job.

How do you know? Maybe it is about postprandial dip. I suffer from that! I guess that’s because I’m human.

But I don’t want the world collapse on me Peter. I’m pretty confident that won’t happen though, so what do you mean?

Only that the AME has a duty to act in accordance with whatever the guidelines are. In the UK, he has no duty of confidentiality to you (only a solicitor has that, and then only for non-major stuff) so there is no “off the record” option (one UK AME told me that) so if you mention a potentially disqualifying condition, he has to report it to the CAA. And they will probably just pull your medical, pending investigations (which will have to be done at your expense).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have an American friend who flew night freight on a light twin with no autopilot who once woke up fully configured on the ILS with no memory of the last hour.

All other stories I have I’m afraid are for the bar only.

London area

Think Michael ment to say, will anyone who uses their real name as opposed to some fictitious name and can have his insurance or certificate yanked if they state that yes they fell asleep.

Who knows if the real names on the internet are real names… Anyway, whoever wants to take action on this kind of posting will have to provide some kind of proof. Who knows what percentage of truth and fiction is contained in these “I learned about flying from that” types of account! I could as well under my real name post “It was me who shot President Kennedy!" and certainly no SQAT team will surround my house tomorrow …

Last Edited by what_next at 16 Feb 15:35
EDDS - Stuttgart

Well, Michael made that comment somewhat tongue in cheek

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I remenmber waking up and finding I was the only crew member not asleep!

Sign in to add your message