Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trainee pilot lands plane without wheel

I think if you are going to be scraping something on the ground, being as light as possible is a good idea as well as reducing fire risk. I think 20mins is a long time in a PA-28!

EGTK Oxford

I can understand burning most of the fuel in the tank without the wheel underneath to reduce extra weight on that side, but it would seem to be that 4 - 5 hours is a long time in a PA28 (especially in the +40 C heats mentioned), it must be quite tormenting knowing yorur wheels missing.

Having one tank full and one empty produces a very different aircraft in a PA28. You have to use a lot of aileron to keep the wings level, which really feels unnatural and uncomfortable.

If I was trying to pull of the smoothest landing of my life, I won't want to be doing it with a PA28 with one full tank and one empty one, as I'd already be operating in unfamiliar terrority.

I'd prefer to spend the time to getting the tanks a bit more even.

I also think taking the time would be good for other reasons. Thinking time in an emergency is always good. In this case there was urgency for them to get on the ground, so they could take all the time that they needed to consider their options.

It also allows those on the ground to work on their behalf and check the internet for previous such incidents and how they were handled and their outcome. For example some here seemed to think that landing on grass would be the best idea, but if those on the ground had some time to do a bit of research they could be able to advise them differently based on historical information.

Time is useful in an emergency. I'd never squander it unless there is another pressure that requires you to be on the ground quickly.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message