Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CPL... Nice to have?

If you have achieved EASA CPL, is it possible to “downgrade” the medical to class 2, while only practicing PPL privileges? “Upgrading” again later when you want to practice your CPL privileges? Could be useful if you want to keep unnecessary costs down.

Have a weak memory that it is possible in the FAA system…

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

We did this recently here but it isn’t clear.

I think in the FAA system you can downgrade as much as you want so long as you have the medical appropriate for the actual privileges being exercised.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In FAA you need class 2 if exercising CPL privileges. Class 3 us OK if not. A class 2 becomes a class 3 after 1 year.

EGTK Oxford

Back in my day you could be an FO on a 737 with a CPL and I think you could be a Captain in something like a twin otter.

These days you have to have an ATPL all be it of the frozen variety.

So what is the point of holding a CPL? You no longer need it to be an instructor and some would argue it’s a hindrance.

Ok you can do aerial photography but there isn’t much of that.

It’s become a useless licence

Bathman wrote:

Back in my day you could be an FO on a 737 with a CPL and I think you could be a Captain in something like a twin otter.

These days you have to have an ATPL all be it of the frozen variety.

Are you referring to FAA or EASA or airline practise? At least in EASA-land the regs allow you to be FO of a 737. Does a Twin Otter require two pilots? If not, you can be captain in a Twin Otter.

FCL.305 CPL — Privileges and conditions
(a) Privileges. The privileges of the holder of a CPL are, within the appropriate aircraft category, to:
(1) exercise all the privileges of the holder of an LAPL and a PPL;
(2) act as PIC or co-pilot of any aircraft engaged in operations other than commercial air transport;
(3) act as PIC in commercial air transport of any single-pilot aircraft subject to the restrictions specified in FCL.060 and in this Subpart;
(4) act as co-pilot in commercial air transport subject to the restrictions specified in FCL.060

The FCL.060 restrictions concern currency. The mention of restrictions “in this Subpart” is strange — I can’t find any such restrictions.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I suspect Bathman is thinking of a CPL without an IR.

In Euroland this is very limited. I recall an obscure charity flight concession, something to do with the 25nm radius. Plus the ability of an FI to train ab initio EASA PPL (needs just the exam passes). Paradropping? It has to be a remunerated VFR activity…

There was no way to ever be an FO on a 737 with just a CPL, surely… No 737 flies VFR and a 737 is a multi pilot aircraft.

Administrator

Thread merged into a previous one on the same topic. Some other reasons above e.g. banner towing.

Administrator

Everyone starts as a CPL holder as an airliner FO – it is only post 500hrs multi pilot that the ATPL can be achieved, which is obviously then a requirement for command upgrade. There is no such licence as a frozen ATPL it is just shorthand for a CPL holder that has done ATPL TK.

Now retired from forums best wishes

I thought you need a CPL/IR and the 14 exam passes (a “frozen ATPL”) to get the RHS job.

It is the 500hrs in a multi pilot cockpit that converts the CPL/IR into an “unfrozen” ATPL.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

raining ab initio EASA PPL (needs CPL exam passes only, even if expired)

An Instructor rating is required. Not sure about CPL.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message