Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CPL... Nice to have?

Yes; currently it is FI + CPL exams – e.g. here.

BUT there is a catch: if you do the CPL exams (currently 13 of them) and then do the IR (currently 7 exams) your CPL/IR (for which you have sat about 20 exams, minus credits!, plus the PPL exams…) can never be converted (via the 500hr MP cockpit route) into a full ATPL. To enable the conversion you have to then sit the 14 exams (minus any credits for previous e.g. HP&L). This has caught out a few people… This is why ATPL FTO students just do the 14 exams and nothing else, which covers all the bases.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes exactly right Peter, and people have also tripped up by letting their IR lapse and losing exam validity credit

ps – you can do FI course and be paid without CPL TK but are limited to teaching the LAPL

Now retired from forums best wishes

Peter wrote:

I suspect Bathman is thinking of a CPL without an IR.

That wouldn’t make any sense. You could never be FO on a 737 with a CPL without IR — not even “back in the days”. As you say, no one flies a 737 VFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

people have also tripped up by letting their IR lapse and losing exam validity credit

What about this and this and this?

Have they removed the concession whereby a valid ICAO IR (e.g. an FAA IR kept valid by rolling currency) keeps your IR exams from ever expiring?

Certainly your CPL exams will eventually expire if you don’t get the CPL, but the passes remain valid for ever for the EASA PPL training requirement. The 14 “ATPL” exams presumably expire too unless you get the whole CPL and the IR, no?

I do know of several CPL-only pilots (no IR) but none appear to be flying significant GA. They use it for the stuff posted earlier in this thread, or nothing at all (well, street cred ).

Administrator

Not as far as I know – thinking of people who have taken time off post commercial training or more commonly done instructing with an IR(R) and not kept the IR

I had the impression that fATPL was a short name of CPL+IR+ME+TK_atpl, irrespective of TK/flying training path you followed to get them
Basically, fATPL is what you need to get an FO job (as of today) to build toward an ATPL (1500hous flying + TK), you may also need a bunch of MCC/CRM courses…

In the past, you can only do with a CPL on SEP but I am not sure if it is the case today…

It seems, you don’t need CPL for non-paid towing gliders/para dropping, paid LAPL ab-initio instruction…
You only need a CPL for crop dusting, arial photo or to take Wingly passengers at KB

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Aug 11:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not as far as I know – thinking of people who have taken time off post commercial training or more commonly done instructing with an IR(R) and not kept the IR

Yes; their IR exams would lapse after 7 years AFAIK.

I had the impression that fATPL was a short name of CPL+IR+ME+TK_atpl, irrespective of TK/flying training path you followed to get them

AFAIK that is true but you must have done the 14 “ATPL” exams, not the CPL exams and then the IR exams.

Interesting point about ME. Does an fATPL need ME?

take Wingly passengers at KB

I thought EGKB banned Wingly no matter what paperwork you had

Administrator

An ME-IR is a requirement for entry to a type Rating course for a multi pilot aircraft

Yes, you need 14 ATPL TK exams for fATPL or ATPL,

Peter wrote:

Does an fATPL need ME?

Assuming airliners, means twin jets with more than 9 passengers, yes will need ME + Jet type rating to be fATPL and ATPL after XXXX hours

Yes, on wingly someone did argued that he can do it with a CPL, while he was right on his privileges he did not fit into the politics (he did make to many enemies too have a difficult flying life, now flies at Redhill )

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Aug 12:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I was thinking easa CPL who also holds an CPL/IR and hasn’t sat the ATPL TK

Pre 2000 ish they used to be able to be a FO on a 737 that is no longer the case.

So I can’t see any point in holding a CPL. What does it allow them to to that a PPL can’t?

You can instruct on a PPL, glider tow on a PPL, paradrop on a PPL.

Last Edited by Bathman at 20 Aug 13:46
Sign in to add your message