Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sanity check on ownership costs

I have started another thread on what to look for in potential syndicate partners – here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Italianjon,

I own a ’77 Archer II and my cost is around £12,000 per year for ~60 hours. My annuals are ~£2,500 inc VAT but I must say I bought a plane that was in mint condition. Previous owner maintained it in prime condition and I am continuing that tradition.

More importantly, for me buying wasn’t a financial consideration, but rather more for the convenience. We typically will decide on a Thursday evening to go to France for the weekend and being a sole owner makes such snap decisions so rewarding.

Regards, Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

I am in a Group of 6 operating a Jodel DR 1050 on an LAA Permit on mogas. The mags have just been professionally overhauled. If the type is cleared for Night and IFR, we’ll have to spend a lot on upgrading the panel.
It’s hangared at a very good rate. Landing is £10 – every home base landing. I pay £50 per month, and £60 wet per tach hour. This at present makes a good profit. It’s insured for £18,000. There’s about £10,000 in the funds at present. We should get several hundred hours out of the engine before we call on the engine part of the funding. Battery is new 2015. A Permit usually costs under £200 before adding the LAA fee.
Endurance is 4 hours @ 110kts. Empty 443.6 kg with spats, 410.6 without. Max AUW is 750 kg. 110L fuel in 2 tanks.
The downside is wood and fabric must be hangared, so touring is restricted weather wise.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

wood and fabric must be hangared, so touring is restricted weather wise.

Do you really believe that on an aircraft that has withstood flying in UK climate for decades, an occasional night outside would make any difference?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Mar 21:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

An occasional night is OK. I’ve had that in spring/summer. But a week of winter weather in west Ireland, stuck on the ground, I won’t risk.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message