Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How Do You Find the Resources for Flying

Peter wrote:

and telling them that actually their problem is due to lifestyle and if they dropped from 120kg to 80kg they would not have the problem anymore. But as one doctor pilot wrote on here a while ago… that is not a great idea.

i would go aa far to say that 98% of illness/poor health is the result of poor/uneducated lifestyle choice. The government will tell you all sorts of crap, but….you eat the food the corporates want you to eat, to become fat to be treated by the drugs companies, who bung the doctors, who feed you the drugs, which make you fat again, who tell you to diet, which fail because you are still eating the processed food, and go into a health service (sick service) who berate you for smoking/eating/drinking. Beautiful system.

Time is the biggest issue for us all.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

It is generally accepted that to hedge against inflation, and without having insider information etc, one needs to invest in the stock market, directly or indirectly, and in a diversified manner. I am 3/4 equities and 1/4 cash. One needs enough in cash to live (and fly a TB20) if the west face of the Lanzarote volcano slides into the sea and wipes out the US East Coast, or Yellowstone blows up (I believe that on past record it is due about now, plus or minus 10000 years), either of which will wipe out the stock markets for a long time.

I don’t do property. No great reason other than I can’t be bothered with the hassle of tenants. The returns are also quite sensitive to how badly the place gets periodically trashed, and on average the stock market will beat it long term. Of course there are exceptions, as always.

Doing this sort of thing more or less right helps to pay for one’s flying when one reaches advanced age

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Being a dyed in the wool cynic I find it impossible to invest in the stock market because I always fear that whatever advice I get must be tainted by vested personal interest of the advisor.
Plus, I’m lazy.

Forever learning
EGTB

Well, the first is largely true… but diversification is not a rocket science.

If you are lazy you just end up in managed funds which skim off 2% a year Still way better than stuffing money under the bed. If you are extremely lazy you buy an endowment mortgage

No financial adviser has a crystal ball. The real work is in accessing the client’s capital/income needs and attitude to risk and advising accordingly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lionel wrote:

You seem to say that you have found a completely safe store of value. What is it?
…Cyprus…

People in Cyprus didn’t lose anything under 100 000 EUR. I’m not even close to having that amount of money. Let’s say the trust I have in the Swedish system is a risk I gladly take.

lionel wrote:

If you have some real estate…

I know people that have no income, have very valuable real estate estate that they cannot sell (not even for a loss), and have to pay huge taxes every year for having that valuable real estate.

I don’t want to play a game I’m not good at, and that is what investments are to me.

lionel wrote:

spreading your exposition to risks

Now that I agree with, and I will probably do once I have enough worth the hassle.

ESME, ESMS

Stickandrudderman wrote:

I always fear that whatever advice I get must be tainted by vested personal interest of the advisor.

This!

ESME, ESMS

I’m hoping my Bitcoins will provide me with an Avanti by 2020.

Peter wrote:

I don’t do property.

Peter wrote:

on average the stock market will beat it long term. Of course there are exceptions

Terraced house in London suburbs 1991……£46,000.00
Terraced house in London suburbs 2017.. .£500,000.00

Rent……26 years at an average of £10,000.00 PA ….. £260,000.00
Less maintenance / costs / etc over period …. £78,000.00

I see that the FTSE100 was about 2500 in 1991 and is around 7500 today, so what would the return on £46k have been over the same period on the London stock exchange?

Someone please do a graph showing the 2 different returns.

Only wish that I had done it!

Bitcoin. Now that is something that is beginning to pique my interest. (Pun intended).

Forever learning
EGTB

Good thread, wondered the same many times reading the forum. I could really get used to flying my own jet for work (any tips Jason?).

I earn money flying a Boeing and then spend some of it flying around in a rented DA40 (3,8€ wet per minute) and recently an SR22 (6,7€ wet per minute, tks and oxygen is extra). Mostly hour long flights to LIPV, LJPZ etc. Time (days off) is a limiting factor as is money (young family to support). Then again, taking your own baby boy up for a spin is priceless (apologies for the baby finger prints on the G1000).

My ideal combination of both would be owning and operating a PC12, though I might‘ve been born on the wrong side of the atlantic for such an endeavor.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message