Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft VAT / import VAT / getting busted upon landing in the EU (merged thread)

Flyer59 wrote:

You are not allowed to live in England as a EU resident and drive a german or EU registered car there. The rules seem to be even more strict than in Germany.

“You” means the natural person living at a certain place. What about a legal entity? Within the EU we can have a business that has a car long-term in an EU country different from the one where the company is registered.

There are many more details that have not been thought through entirely. In the EU we can all roam freely, live and do business. But many rules and procedures are still stuck in the era when the EU member states where completely independent countries. It’s an interesting system to probe

Frequent travels around Europe

I have a company in the Czech Republic, and I have to buy a private car here in Germany, because I cannot drive a car registered to my Czech company in Germany, because I am in Germany more than 180 days per year. Until now (and believe me that I tried) we have found no solution for that.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 03 Nov 22:55

Interesting. We should take that offline as it’s not really related to VAT and aviation anymore :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

I used to drive a French registered car while living in Belgium. If the car would have been registered in my own name, that is not allowed. However, I was employed (not just a shareholder) of a French company that owned the car and the car was part of my work contract. This setup was fine and I was paying taxes on the use of this vehicle.

But you are right this is a bit remote from the aviation matter at hand. One of my company is specialized in Customs and VAT so I know a bit more than average on these subjects (I am far from calling myself an expert though and will not comment on purpose: I would be too scared to be wrong!) I carefully read this thread and in my experience, it is hard to self assess these issues. It is technical, varies from one country to another even in EU and legislation changes over time so I would advise to rely on a professional opinion as we are talking about serious money for some owners who have multi million $ airplanes.

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Flyer59 wrote:

That’s not right. You cannot have a german registered car (for long) in Paris or in Prague either.

I meant having to re-register if you move within the country. You mentioned Munich and Frankfurt.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I meant having to re-register if you move within the country. You mentioned Munich and Frankfurt.

You no longer have to replace your Munich plate with a Frankfurt plate when you move inside Germany. That was changed this year actually. Not sure I like it, it’s always good to see where somebody’s coming from. If somebody with a license plate from another Bundesland drives down our street, we hide the kids inside

I think from 2015 you can keep your PLATES, if you move within Germany but you do have to change the car papers!

For the Czech car – why can’t you buy a company car in the Czech republic, and keep it registered in Germany? Ownership and registration are two different things…

Biggin Hill

Because it cannot be owned by the czech company and registered to me, the tax consultant told us!

I’ll simply found a branch office in Munich, i think.

Flyer59 wrote:

That’s not right. You cannot have a german registered car (for long) in Paris or in Prague either. And if you move to Vienna you have only 3 months to register your car there, and the fines are high. About the UK i don’t know.

There are plenty of German cars running around Hungary. As well as motorcycles.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message