Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands / Isle of Man / San Marino aircraft registry / register (merged)

And just to be clear, none of the above is the fault of the pilot or engineer. A registry, aviation authority or whatever you call it should take upon itself a great deal of responsibility when it issues an aircraft specific flight crew validation for three years. The onus should be on the aviation authority that issued the validation in the first place. These authorities have hundreds, not hundreds of thousands of aircraft on their registry. They are fully aware of where their aircraft are based and what local compliance is required.
Such documentation ambiguity renders the entire registry essentially untrustworthy.
Maybe for some, retirement and expat status as the King Cahunas’ of some of the registries leads them to perhaps believe that they are devoid of any responsibility for such documents churned out by them.

Spain

I wonder what your position or profession is, hurricane?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Appreciate your questions, but just a slightly concerned forum member whose view seems to be echoed by others.

Spain

All of aviation regulation is a house of cards. It all hangs together so long as everybody is happy.

Administrator

That’s very funny, thanks for the link ! House of Cards, exactly !

Spain

Any aviation authority that delivers validations or licences does it in application, and for pilot / operator / … compliance with its own laws. Whatever laws from another jurisdiction apply to you, is a matter between that jurisdiction and you.

As such, I really don’t find it shocking that the IM/GG/… issue their validations of licences of country X without formally checking whether another country Y (where X != Y) would require yet another licence. The FAA certainly does not check, nor care, whether a FAA piggyback licence based on an Australian licence is not used on a N-registered plane based in Europe. I admit the IM/GG/.. aviation authorities could document on their website and/or in the validation request process the EASA requirement for an EASA licence for based operators/planes, and that would be a friendly, courteous and informative gesture.

ELLX

Yes, but the FAA don’t issue validations, they issue licenses. That’s why they don’t check, same as if the Spanish CAA issue an EASA licence, they don’t then follow the pilot to every country that he/she finds work in to check they are legal. It’s not the same thing as a validation and can’t be compared. Your last sentence makes a bit of sense though.
A validation seems to be nether a pilot licence, and it seems it isn’t permission to fly the aircraft specific registration written on the document. It’s easy to say it’s between the jurisdiction and the pilot, passing the buck like that. The reality is on the one hand you would have a very formal document issued by a registry stating pilot in command or second in command privileges for an aircraft registration. Then on the other hand this document with official stamps and carrying the aforementioned privileges may be instantaneously worthless.

Spain

61.75?

Administrator

That’s true, 61.75 is issued on the basis of a foreign licence, however an actual plastic credit card shape licence is issued by the FAA, and it isn’t designated a validation on the aforementioned plastic card licence, online I think it states issued on the basis of licence xyz or something like that. It also isn’t specific to an aircraft registration like an IOM validation is for example. I don’t believe that the two can be compared. A validation is specific to an aircraft registration, and is issued purely on that basis, to fly that aircraft registration. The reality is that the validation privileges and document ain’t worth much and it is issued with a view to passing the buck.

Spain

In an interesting turn of events it is looking as though UK issued EASA pilot licences may possibly be invalid when the U.K. leaves the EU next year. Ironically when this happens third country issued pilot licences such as FAA will become valid again for U.K. based pilots, due to the UK no longer being part of the EU, not accepting ECJ and being classified as a third country.

One wonders how registries such as the IOM will handle this for affected pilots. I have heard that the flight crew validation for such pilots will be worthless for pilots with UK issued EASA licences, and you can be sure that ramp checks will be massively ramped up ! I suppose for those FAA licenced pilots they could see this as poetic justice.

I see another nice free trip for those registries, this time to Shanghai, https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2018-04-18/aircraft-registries-line-abace

Spain
Sign in to add your message