Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands / Isle of Man / San Marino aircraft registry / register (merged)

I’m sorry but that is incorrect.

For any aircraft registration specific validation IOM or otherwise to be valid for the aircraft to be flown then the pilot does require EASA papers now for the aforementioned reasons, if they are based in Europe, aircraft normally hangared in Europe. Some registry websites have stated it, some don’t, but either way they continue to issue validations in the knowledge that the pilot is based in Europe flying an aircraft hangared in Europe. Are you suggesting that the validation is issued without any liability by the registry ? Have you seen a registry validation ? It states P1 or P2 privileges to fly a certain aircraft registration for a period of three years. Are you suggesting that the pilot come away with his / her new validation and disregard EASA papers requirement ? The derogations argument is without merit, almost no European Country has now applied for them.
The U.K. PPL validation argument is without merit as it isn’t for remuneration and is not aircraft registration specific. The two are chalk and cheese as they say.

Spain

And I apologise Timothy my reply is for Peter

Spain

I think you miss my point. I am only saying that people who go out of their way to push to the edges of avoidance may be the same kind of people who might also step a short way into evasion. (You can rail against that, but I reckon in your heart you know it to be true.)

Statistically that will be true.

But we are all tax avoiders. Well, anybody who can fly a plane is actively trying to minimise the tax they pay

Also there is a big correlation between wealth and wanting to pay less tax, because if you have nothing, you have nothing to avoid (or evade). So inevitably there will be lots of envy, of the jet crowd.

I believe 3% of “us” have criminal records.

I am simply saying that EU NAA ramp inspectors may just think that the same is true of people who go to the lengths of going T7, 2, M or whatever.

They probably do, but – like with the old Danish zero VAT scheme – they can’t do a whole lot about it no matter how much they hate it.

The derogations argument is without merit, almost no European Country has now applied for them.

That’s incorrect. But you know where to find the thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Well, anybody who can fly a plane is actively trying to minimise the tax they pay

This is not true. I can fly a “plane” and we are a constant disappointment to our accountants in refusing to engage in anything apart from straight reporting of our position. We think that someone has to pay for hospitals and schools and if everyone tries to duck their responsibilities the country will continue to go from crap to crapier to crapiest.

Peter wrote:

they can’t do a whole lot about it no matter how much they hate it.

Again, missing my point. I am talking about the inconvenience of them looking, not of them finding anything. There is also the inconvenience of having constantly to work on the paperwork to prove that there is nothing to find.

EGKB Biggin Hill

This is not true. I can fly a “plane” and we are a constant disappointment to our accountants in refusing to engage in anything apart from straight reporting of our position. We think that someone has to pay for hospitals and schools and if everyone tries to duck their responsibilities the country will continue to go from crap to crapier to crapiest.

I do the same, but “tax avoidance” is not necessarily “dodgy” stuff like buying some film company shares in return for tax credits (or whatever). Do you never take out an ISA for example? Taking out an ISA is straight tax avoidance, with absolutely zero genuine purpose other than avoiding tax, and anybody who has an ISA is depriving hospitals of the resources they need to fight the current obesity epidemic

Also in this thread you wrote

We have an aircraft on the San Marino register (T7) which seems to offer many benefits and few downsides.

We did not go T7 for tax evasion/avoidance, we used it for various perceived STC and licensing benefits.

and to me this indicates a less than perfectly consistent position

There is also the inconvenience of having constantly to work on the paperwork to prove that there is nothing to find.

I met an N-reg pilot the other day who, for his landings at Biarritz, has a prepared package of documents for the French airport police training “academy” there.

Administrator

I don’t think taking a printout of the derogations table along with a licence validation will work with any ramp inspection, as around half of the countries recently haven’t now bothered to extend the deadline.

Spain

The position on the T7 reg is not inconsistent at all. I manage(d) that aircraft for the owner and he put it on T7 for his own reasons, which I don’t go along with, mainly the very “flag of convenience” stuff I was discussing. Both he, as an FAA CPL and I, as an EASA ATPL, can fly it. That is “convenient”.

I expect to get ramp checked more in that aircraft because it is T7, and spend time and effort ensuring that everything is perfect (for example, doing a W&B for every flight, even though I know that I am right in the middle of the envelope.)

That is why it is on the register and I wouldn’t put it on. I’d rather just get the necessary ratings (as I have.)

My own aircraft was N reg and I moved it to G, because I think that that is the right thing to do.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Ah, but, Timothy, if you were to run a perfectly ethical position, you would not work for somebody who uses a “registry of convenience”

You would not even work for somebody who has an ISA, because he engages in tax avoidance.

Ethics is a tricky business…

Administrator

Well, you are in luck, because I strongly believe that I don’t, but, because of the whole non-ring-fence thing, I don’t actually know

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Do you never take out an ISA for example?

So what’s an ISA? I presume that in this context it does not refer to the International Standard Atmosphere.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message