Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands / Isle of Man / San Marino aircraft registry / register (merged)

I am looking to import a Piaggio Avanti from US. It turned out that it has some modifications not approved under EASA. It was suggested to me that I register it at IOM and could then fly it with my EASA license. I know very little of this setup. Could you advise me if:
- I can get TR into my EASA license if flying on M- for purpose of training?
- who should own it? Me personally, my PL based company, IOM based company? What’s the standard?
- I understand VAT to be paid in Poland? I will be doing private flying based here.
- there’s an expensive 12 year gear overhaul that can be skipped under FFA and is mandatory in EASA. It can be skipped under M-?
- no AOC work in the EU on M-reg, correct?

Any potential problems I should be aware of?

LPFR, Poland

The Isle of Man registry may well a good option for you. They will validate any respectable ICAO licence and the aircraft can maintained in accordance with an FAA or EASA maintenance programme.

Additionally, the IOMAR are super efficient and tend to turn requests for stuff around in a fraction of the time that the UK CAA or the FAA do.

How you own the aircraft will depend on a number of factors – not least whether you will use the aircraft in connection with your business. You should take professional advice on this because the tax implications of getting it wrong, can be significant.

How / where you import the aircraft will depend on the above.

I’m based on the Isle of Man and am happy to give you some basic advice for free and then point you in the direction.

Feel free to email me julian ‘AT’ storeyjet.im

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

- I can get TR into my EASA license if flying on M- for purpose of training?

Yes, although you will need an EASA ATO to do the type rating. I believe you can complete the training on a non EASA aircraft as long as the CAA (of the ATO) is notified. (this is the case in the UK anyway).

- who should own it? Me personally, my PL based company, IOM based company? What’s the standard?

Depends on your circumstances. Usually it will be through an entity of some sort for liability.

- I understand VAT to be paid in Poland? I will be doing private flying based here.

This will be based on the country of import. You can import it into any EU country and pay the VAT in that country.

- there’s an expensive 12 year gear overhaul that can be skipped under FFA and is mandatory in EASA. It can be skipped under M-?

Yes as long as you are certifying the aircraft based on the FAA type certificate.

- no AOC work in the EU on M-reg, correct?

Correct

EGBB

Thank you for these clear answers.

LPFR, Poland

Roger wrote:

I can get TR into my EASA license if flying on M- for purpose of training?

Yes, although you will need an EASA ATO to do the type rating. I believe you can complete the training on a non EASA aircraft as long as the CAA (of the ATO) is notified. (this is the case in the UK anyway).

An Austrian ATO told me (for a class rating) they could do channel islands-registration with some paperwork with their CAA, but not N-reg. I ended up doing the rating before taking the plane off the EASA register (bought it on EASA register). I’m not sure why. Maybe their CAA thought the Channel Islands are EU/EASA :)

ELLX

The IOM CAA validates any ICAO license/rating for use on a specific M-reg airframe(s).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some strange developments re the Guernsey registry – here. Local copy

THE DIRECTOR of Civil Aviation will be sacked for gross incompetence, if the States accepts a recommendation from Economic Development.

Does this affect any 2-reg aircraft owners?

Administrator

Guernsey Registry will do the same but also offer ‘Ownership Options’ more beneficial than the IOM.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

For those of you who own a 2-reg aircraft and live in the UK, how does this work now? Do you need to get the aircraft maintained in Guernsey or can you have them maintained on the mainland? Is a license validation from 2-REG enough to be able to fly the aircraft anywhere?

United Kingdom

The answer should be in this thread somewhere. A 2-reg needs a Guernsey approved mechanic of some sort. Most 2-regs fly to Guernsey for maintenance.

@quatrelle will know.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message