Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands / Isle of Man / San Marino aircraft registry / register (merged)

Individual Savings Account. It is how our government encourages people to save up to a few thousand a year, by making that limited amount tax free, subject to some conditions.

EGKB Biggin Hill

If those who write tax law manipulate you into doing what they want or they feel is good, at least you have minimized your tax… so you have something to show for it and there’s always a chance that it was in fact the right thing to do regardless of the tax benefit.

Otherwise and with respect to choosing your country, I did, and for more than just where to register my plane. If it weren’t for competition between nations and states to attract capital and brainpower, we would (and possibly will, I think, in the future) be subject to uncontrolled tax slavery as well as as even more bloated, wasteful government.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 May 16:25

Hurricane wrote:

IOM Flight Crew licence validation isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. Might as well write your own on an A4 piece of paper headed by ‘Island of Fantasy Aviation’ with a comical rubber stamp of your own as the IOM validation carries about this much weight. The piece of paper they issue apparently just validates your existing privileges

What more could you possibly expect a VALIDATION to do? It’s just saying they will accept that you can fly aircraft X on the basis of a defined licence. It’s up to you to keep that licence up to scratch with renewals, currency, medicals etc. What’s the problem?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Hurricane wrote:

If you fly predominately under FAA with type ratings on your licence and receive a validation for IOM or similar, then you will also need an EASA licence with associated type ratings endorsed and up to date to comply and make your validation legal. It’s not enough just to fly on FAA with type ratings and to hold an EASA licence with no type ratings. Your validation in this case would be worthless.

That is nothing to do with the Isle of Man, it’s an EASA regulation. Same as if you are on the N reg. If you fly an IoM aircraft OUTSIDE of EASA you don’t need EASA licences

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Fully aware that OUTSIDE of EASA as you put it that you don’t need EASA licences, I think all here are aware of that.

The question was why validations are still being issued for pilots and aircraft based inside the EU, without holding an EASA licence and appropriate current EASA type rating for that validation ?
And you say what more could you possibly expect a validation to do ? Well, yes you answered it nicely and quite right it doesn’t really do much in Europe unless you hold an EASA licence does it ?

Spain

Hurricane wrote:

The question was why validations are still being issued for pilots and aircraft based inside the EU, without holding an EASA licence and appropriate current EASA type rating for that validation ?

The Manx CAA’s responsibility is to check the license is valid for the Manx ANO and nothing else. It’s up to the PIC to ensure they are compliant with all other regulations imposed by 3rd countries.

Last Edited by alioth at 22 May 08:48
Andreas IOM

And that’s written on the validation or application for validation is it ? I don’t think so, so no the pilot cannot be blamed. And I seriously doubt the SAFA inspectors look much past the validation to check the pilot has an EASA licence if EU based, which suggests that the validation is possibly treated or thought of as a form of licensing for the three year period.

Spain

Hurricane wrote:

And that’s written on the validation or application for validation is it ?

Why would it need to be? It’s always the responsibility of the PIC to ensure they are compliant with the regulations of where they were flying, and anyone who’s even reached PPL level knows that the PIC is responsible for ensuring the flight they are about to undertake is compliant with the regulations. It’s no different from if the PIC was European and operating N-reg. The FAA isn’t going to start attaching notes on an FAA certificate telling them to ensure they are compliant with the regulations in 3rd countries either. So of course the pilot can be blamed if they don’t know the regulations of the place they actually reside.

Otherwise we end up with the reductio ad absurdum situation where we’re expecting all validations (including e.g. FAA 61.75 licenses) to attach the entire text of Part FCL to the license document or validation so the pilot knows.

Last Edited by alioth at 22 May 11:48
Andreas IOM

As I have previously explained on this thread, it’s not the same thing. The FAA issue full pilot certificates, even for 61.75 you get an FAA plastic credit card shape licence. And no of course no licence or certificate issuer will attach notes because it is a full licence. A registry validation is different.

You cannot compare the two. On a validation it’s clearly written the aircraft registration, P1 or P2 privileges and licence or certificate issuing state, permission to fly the aircraft registration. And yes, for an entitlement to fly a specific aircraft registration in Europe such notes should be annotated to a validation or at least checked at validation application.

The other difference is that possibly less than 1% of aircraft on these registries have aircraft actually based in the country where the registry is. So you have a situation where a validation is issued via a non european licence in the knowledge that the aircraft is based in Europe, you think that’s acceptable do you ?

Spain

As Alioth says in post 58, this is perfectly acceptable.

Look at the FAA/N-reg scene. It would not surprise me if the majority of N-regs were outside the USA. Most of the world runs on the FAA system; if not with an “N” on the tail then operating maintenance procedures.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message