Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands / Isle of Man / San Marino aircraft registry / register (merged)

If there has been any brexit related change or transition I would very much like to know.

The C.I. have always been outside the UK VAT system.

The IOM has always been inside the UK VAT system.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Got it thanks.

United Kingdom

What transition? For VAT, Guernsey versus say UK is same as e.g. USA versus UK. Nothing I know of changed due to brexit.

Guernsey, like the IOM, AFAIK accepts all ICAO papers and validates them for the particular aircraft. You need a medical issued by the same country as the license.

2-reg has a curious advantage (same as M-reg) that you can transfer to the reg without having to get an Export CofA. This makes the transfer to it less risky than say to N.

IIRC, 2-reg has another narrow advantage that if you can get a UK/EASA medical but cannot get an FAA medical (this is possible in quite specific situations) then you can fly the 2-reg on your UK/EASA medical but the registry does accept FAA modifications. This can be better than the obvious solution (N-reg) because the only way you could fly an N-reg on a UK/EASA medical only would be with a 61.75 PPL but if you get a standalone FAA PPL/CPL you lose that option for ever – here.

I looked at 2-reg some years ago but the maintenance would have been a big hassle.

You can fly a 2-reg aircraft worldwide. It is an ICAO certified aircraft.

Most of the advantages of a M-reg or 2-reg etc are around the tax treatment. This involves setting up a company there, and – certainly on M-reg – you can get a very favourable Benefit in Kind treatment. The IOM Director of Aviation once explained this to me but I have forgotten the details. It won’t be applicable to most piston GA scenarios.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The answer should be in this thread somewhere. A 2-reg needs a Guernsey approved mechanic of some sort. Most 2-regs fly to Guernsey for maintenance.

@quatrelle will know.

Trouble is that a lot of advice in this thread predates 2020 so it seems most posters weren’t sure what the post-transition period status was going to be. Now we know what the situation is. What confuses me is really two things that I couldn’t get from this thread (or maybe I just missed the right posts). Firstly, can you fly a 2-reg in the UK with your CAA license alone? And secondly, I assume if you want to fly a 2-reg in the EASA-land you’d need a Guernsey license validation?

United Kingdom

Hi Peter
No I am on the N registration and have been since 2007, best thing, esp for a turbine (oil change every 400 hours etc), is that it gets rid of all those 50hour checks.

The reason I go to Guernsey is to walk from the airfield to Le Gouffre restaurant for lunch and then a 2 hour walk along the coastal path, you cant beat it, as you know

The answer should be in this thread somewhere. A 2-reg needs a Guernsey approved mechanic of some sort. Most 2-regs fly to Guernsey for maintenance.

@quatrelle will know.

Administrator

For those of you who own a 2-reg aircraft and live in the UK, how does this work now? Do you need to get the aircraft maintained in Guernsey or can you have them maintained on the mainland? Is a license validation from 2-REG enough to be able to fly the aircraft anywhere?

United Kingdom

Guernsey Registry will do the same but also offer ‘Ownership Options’ more beneficial than the IOM.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

Some strange developments re the Guernsey registry – here. Local copy

THE DIRECTOR of Civil Aviation will be sacked for gross incompetence, if the States accepts a recommendation from Economic Development.

Does this affect any 2-reg aircraft owners?

Administrator

The IOM CAA validates any ICAO license/rating for use on a specific M-reg airframe(s).

Administrator
185 Posts
Sign in to add your message