Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are single pilot jets safe?

[This thread started in Hangar Talk, in the turboprop discussion]

You are right to an extent although if you can get to FL410 you are largely clear. My question was on your safety point though. How do you see a VLJ as less safe single pilot?

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Jun 08:15
EGTK Oxford

Systems are much more complex, the powerplants react more slowly to power changes, speed in the terminal area is much higher. They are rarely flown single pilot and the used ones aren’t really designed for that. I don’t have any hard numbers but to me it seems to be much more demanding than a SET designed for owner pilot operation.

But the accident statistics on for example the Mustang which is almost always flown single pilot don’t support that they are riskier in fact quite the reverse. In some ways I think that some of those challenges mean pilots are less likely to make stuff up as they go along are more likely to be disciplined with checklists etc. I agree some older jets which now have single pilot authorisations may be a real handful.

EGTK Oxford

Maybe the Mustang is an exception but it is very small and the range is very very limited. It always struck me as only applying to the “it must be a jet just because” situations. Eclipse has about the same range but is faster.

PS: The Mustang is 10kt faster than the TBM 900 but has to climb much higher.

Last Edited by achimha at 03 Jun 11:53

Modern CJs also have a good track record as single pilot aircraft. Modern systems and avionics undoubtedly help.

I know several Mustang owners and they almost always beat book speeds. Turboprops usually don’t. The Eclipse is fast but makes the Meridian look spacious.

But as you suggest, these things can be emotional as much as by the numbers

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Jun 12:02
EGTK Oxford

Just saw this.

Link

EGTK Oxford

Have you got a single pilot jet, Jason?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have you got a single pilot jet, Jason?

No, why do you ask?

EGTK Oxford

It would seem a logical progression?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It might be but nothing yet. Meridian just sold though so need to focus on decision. Considering all single and twin TPs as well as some light jets.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Jun 22:12
EGTK Oxford

“Meridian just sold though so need to focus on decision. Considering all single and twin TPs”

THIS deserves its own thread :-)

EBST, Belgium
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message