Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restrictions on the use of "foreign" reg certified aircraft around Europe

This has come up a few times lately…

In the UK, we have ANO Article 225. The ANO is here and 225 is

The Sec of State (Dept from Transport, later the CAA itself) issues permissions only to the owner(s) – with some restrictions on the max number of owners; used to be four – of the aircraft receiving training. They charge (last time I looked) about £70 for this.

This permission is required only if doing it in UK airspace and the instructor is being paid for the flight training (i.e. ground instruction is unregulated).

A separate ANO reg requires any instructor getting paid for flight training to hold a JAA/EASA CPL (not just the exams passes, in addition to any instructor ratings required for the instruction itself (e.g. FAA CFII for IR training). As another separate reg, the CPL exam passes are required to train for the EASA PPL; without them an FI can train the LAPL only. So in practice any “working” instructor needs the full CPL (because he is getting paid, and almost nobody is doing the LAPL).

I am quite sure that every country has something similar, otherwise the whole world would just go N-reg, both private aircraft and flying school fleets! But it will be buried in national regs.

One interesting angle is that for say the UK, another EU-reg (say D-reg) should be acceptable for anything which a G-reg can be used for. This, one might expect, is simple EU anti-competition law. But evidently it doesn’t work that way. I do recall one then well known UK GA personality reporting that the DfT told him that Art 225 does not apply to other EU-regs but I see no evidence of this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought the EU was supposed to be one big happy family. On second thought, with one exception…. or maybe two.

KHTO, LHTL

Copied from another thread but better suited here (PH – please delet the other post)

I can fully understand why FAA reg is not suitable for many, or even most Europeans.

The first reason is the language handicap, with exception to the UK & Ireland, obviously.

I personally refused to assist a French owner that wanted to go to FAA when I realized that he didn’t have a clue as to FAA regs and has little hope since he does not read nor understand English. I suspect that this is far more prevalent than most would admit. Hell, it’s hard enough to make sense of the FAA regs even for a native English speaker !

Second is the Trust : Very few people understand how the trusts works and the inherent risks Yeah, sure, never heard of anyone actually losing control of the plane through the Trust, but nobody wants to be the first.

Lastly, the complexity of the operating and licensing regs operating FAA reg in Euroland can be mind boggling and there are thousands of posts on this very Forum to prove it.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The Inverness flying school bought a good D reg Pa38, and it was on the D reg while being used for training – until a PPL lost control landing at a grass airfield, and flipped it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

That’s a very interesting data point, Maoraigh.

I have a correction for what I posted above regarding needing a full JAA/EASA CPL to get paid. I have this from a CAA examiner:

Apparently the CPL requirement ended 2 years ago. This is great news for Europe based FAA CFI/CFII instructors who want to get paid for doing ad hoc training but who don’t have a JAA/EASA CPL.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In another relaxation of the requirement for a CPL a suitable PPL holder can now give “Introductory Flights” within an ATO, for which the passenger has paid. There is no need for a CPL or an instructor rating. Obviously it is just an air experience, no instruction can be given or logged.

Last Edited by Neil at 10 Jun 08:44
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Apologies if this has already been raised, but Brexit aside, does anyone know the residency vs registration rules (if any) about country of registration? Ie can you keep a D- in the UK indefinitely?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Generally no problem. I have been keeping a G-reg in Czechia for 8 years.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

“Generally”?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Generally in the sense that I cannot vouch for all the 28 national CAAs, nor for special cases like using the aircraft commercially…

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message