Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots move from flying to sailing...

I have come across a good number who have done it. Some gave up flying (possibly due to failing their aviation medical) while others do both.

I wonder if those of you who have done it would like to relate your experiences and the reasons why?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know a lot of sailplane pilots who sail, and they say the challenges are similar

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

… those of you who have done it …

I did it the other way round (grew up close to a lake, so water sports were part of my youth): Sailing → windsurfing → gliding → powered flying. As I don’t live close to water any more I can’t imagine to go back. My fondest sailing memories are from a sailing holiday in the Netherlands. Always wind, rivers, canals, lakes – all connected – nice people, numerous places to stop and have lunch or coffee. Our north Italian lake had nicer scenery, but unstable wind conditions. More than once we sailed happily for two hours in the morning and paddled back 40km until late in the afternoon (unless some friendly motorboat would tow us…).

Last Edited by what_next at 26 Jun 14:56
EDDS - Stuttgart

Dear Guys,
nice topic.
I fly since 28 years, reached – fortunately – all my targets in GA and commercial aviation like having my own plane and flying freelance on CJ and beeing FI.
And I still enjoy aviation

I’m a sailor since 4 years with a half share of a sailboat since 3 years.
What are the differences?
First of al there are some similarities in knowledge like Navigation and WX.
But there are also similarities in rgds to the effect of recreation. However, this point is very different in its effect.
The sailing gives me the close touch with the elements like water and wind and simply nature, a bit similiar to glider flying.
But there is one aspect which is a pro at the boat: I fly since nearly 3 decades and observe that avation gets more and more complicate, regulated and restricted .
Long ago , these “golden times”
Recently I installed a special Batt—charger in my boat. Buying- installing- using:) no paperwork, no applications
Simple and easy. I like it.
Imagine the same for my TB20:(
Major change? EASA Approval?
These are only some aspects but for me they are important.
Enjoyed ocean and sky :-)
Stefan

EDLW, Dortmund,Germany

You know the story behind the logo? 3 spokes: on land, in the water, in the air. Back when they built airplane and boat engines. I had a perfect trip a few years ago: a friend drove me to the airfield in his Porsche, we flew to the Lake of Constance in my Cessna and then sailed across the lake in a boat.

No need to move from one to the other. Personally, I only own a 6.5m RIB with 140hp just for watersports, fishing, cruising and as a business two large sailing catamarans, 62ft and 74ft as well as a hydrofoil boat with glass bottom and 300hp. Sailing is wonderful, very relaxing. Boats are more challenging to own though, there is more maintenance and there are more problems — unless they are small and can be taken out of the water when not in use. Salt water destroys everything eventually.

Last Edited by achimha at 26 Jun 15:53

I sometimes think that sailing, or even a small trawler, would be much mor “social” activity than flying. I am sure the family would be on the boat more often than they care to fly (or cancel flights because of bad weather). … Flying can really make you a loner.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 26 Jun 16:44

How spooky. I am just in from flying the Cub with my son, opened this up, and this is exactly what my friend and I were discussing over lunch. He enquired as to my new boat, how was I doing? Superb, is the answer.

1. More family focused. Everyone joins in.
2. Much more social than aviation.
3. Very relaxing, almost therapeutic
4. We can get to very remote places, drop anchor, sleep the night, wake up and cook breakfast.
5. I find learning something new quite invigorating.
6. Keeps its value, if looked after, better than the aeroplane, or car, for that matter.
7. Perceived to be safer. Although not that sure about this. Need more research……
8. I, if I want, can do all the work. I know that in aviation, technically, I could also, but you still require sign off.
9. It’s not cheaper, but I think a higher return overall, from your financial input.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I went out for a drink with an assistant director in NY a few years ago. Turned out he owned and lived on a big sailing yacht out on Long Island. When we started comparing costs between flying and his boat, I realized my hobby was downright cheap compared to his. Boating will take you to the cleaners. Big boats even more so. There’s a fundamental difference as well. Aircrafts are time machines – they save you time so you can spend it visiting or experiencing something else. Boats don’t save time, they are , or rather, have to be the experience in their own.

I think it comes down to what person you are. I like to work. I love my job. Vacations bore me and I get restless after 2 days. For me sailing on a boat without a mission, would become just like a vacation. Feel like I’m wasting time when I could be doing something productive. Other people live for the vacation and they wish they could have a constant vacation. I think boats are probably a better fit for those. Which, probably is the majority. Most people don’t enjoy their jobs.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 26 Jun 17:16

Would disagree somewhat Adam. I have worked all my life, since the age of 12. I have had large business, and no one is more driven than I, and now at my mid fifty point, and having conquered the world, several times over, I do find it good to relax, let the team carry the can. That’s what I pay them for.

Work wise, I also love what I do, but frankly, some chill out time, is required. It will all still be there when you get back. Used to be flying, but the boat seems to draw my time at the moment.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

It’s different when you have a family and small kids (do you?) … On a boat you could spend a vacation together with them, if that is important to you. It also depends on the type of work you do. I can actually do a big part of my job anywhere (writing articles and now, again, books).

98 Posts
Sign in to add your message