Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

Hi Maoraigh, no , sadly not. The instructor just signs the flight in the log book with his instructor number…. Then the examiner checks this log book entry, plus the other criteria (>12 hours etc) and signs the rating validity certificate of the licence…. The examiner now needs to be a UK EASA examiner for UK licences, but I don’t think this is the case for every European NAA, who AFAIK will mostly accept any EASA examiner.

EDHS, Germany

The whole thing is getting worse all the time anyway. You used to be able to fly with any ICAO instructor (so, for example, could combine it with the FAA BFR). This then became any EASA instructor. I don’t even want to think about what it’s going to be like when my next reval comes up – post Brexit…….

“Post Brexit”….. Don’t goad me

I’ll vent about Brexit and move the thread away from my original request to find a UK FE to help me out

EDHS, Germany

but I don’t think this is the case for every European NAA, who AFAIK will mostly accept any EASA examiner.

In other countries the instructors have been authorized to revalidate SEP ratings so no need for an examiner.

LFPT, LFPN

So, in France’s case, would they accept a signature from any EASA instructor, or just a French one?

I’m looking through some websites on this topic and it appears the UK will accept an EASA instructor if they have flown the hour with you AND have FCL945 privileges…. But it’s written ambiguously and I’m waiting for as reply to a clarification request.

The oddity seems to be the examiner route… Which has to be a UK examiner for ‘via experience’ but ANY EASA examiner for ‘via test’ route…

EDHS, Germany

italianjon wrote:

So, in France’s case, would they accept a signature from any EASA instructor, or just a French one?

Just a French one AFAIU. My understanding is that NAA delegate limited examiner privileges to their instructors so they can sign SEP renewals for their license holders.

LFPT, LFPN

Can revalidation by experience now be signed by the instructor doing the hour flight? If that is at a suitable date.

I understood this clip from the CAA website to mean it does not HAVE to be an Examiner. Or am I missing something?

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/EASA-requirements/Ratings/Single-engine-piston-rating-for-aeroplanes/
Revalidation by experience

If you are revalidating your SEP by experience and are flying in a European Member State, please note that a Certificate of Revalidation held on a licence issued by the UK cannot be signed by a non-UK EASA examiner.

SEP revalidation by experience can be signed in a UK issued licence by an examiner holding a valid UK issued Part-FCL examiner certificate or a Flight Instructor with the privileges of FCL.945.

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

dave_phillips used to do mine in the past but i tried to contact him recently for a similar service but i did not get any response this time

so i contacted my “old” examiner in the UK and he did it for me

fly2000

Revalidation by experience: refresher flight requirement

It’s time to revalidate by experience my CAA PPL with the UK CAA.

As I live in Switzerland, this is always a bit of a dance, as I can’t simply ask a local EASA FI to endorse my license and — for legal reasons, this can only be done by an EASA FE or privileged FI who is licensed by the UK CAA.

However, the requirement for the one-hour refresher flight is less clear. Can this be done with any EASA FI holding the corresponding (class) rating, not just a UK CAA licensed one?

I have called the licensing hotline, but they were not able to answer my question, but only sent me a generic email about the revalidation by experience, which doesn’t really go into this detail.

I remember that last time the revalidation worked with the refresher flight with a French FI, but things might have changed in the meantime …

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Zorg wrote:

the requirement for the one-hour refresher flight is less clear. Can this be done with any EASA FI holding the corresponding (class) rating, not just a UK CAA licensed one?

I can’t give you an authoritative answer, but I don’t why it could not be done with any EASA FI.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message