Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

Peter wrote:

The only way to get a revalidation without doing the flight is if you have done the 6/12 hrs and have done a flight with an CRI, FI or FE within past 12 months – correct?

I believe if you have done any LPC in the 12 months before revalidation you need the SEP experience but do not need any instructional flight. For example an IR renewal, or a type rating renewal seems to work.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

For reference, the requirements are in FCL.740.A(b). See page 840 at https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Part-FCL.pdf

If you cannot revalidate by experience, the requirement is to pass a proficiency check with an examiner within the 3 months preceding the expiry date of the rating.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Neil wrote:

I believe if you have done any LPC in the 12 months before revalidation you need the SEP experience but do not need any instructional flight. For example an IR renewal, or a type rating renewal seems to work.

I always forget about this.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Has anyone got a reference to the regulation which says an instructor can only sign off the revalidation if they personally conducted the training flight?

EGLM & EGTN

FCL.945 Obligations for instructors
Upon completion of the training flight for the revalidation of an SEP or TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740.A (b)(1) and only in the event of fulfilment of all the other revalidation criteria required by FCL.740.A (b)(1) the instructor shall endorse the applicant’s licence with the new expiry date of the rating or certificate, if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence.

The rule offers no sanctuary to dissatisfied instructors.

———

An alternative means of compliance applied in UK is given in CAP 804 Part I, section 4 part H, subpart 1 p 8 (p 270 of 930 in the PDF):

4.1.1 UK Alternative Means of Compliance with FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii) – Revalidation of
single-engine class ratings.

The requirements for a training flight with an FI or CRI, referred to in FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii),
may be satisfied by receiving instruction totalling at least 1 hour from the same instructor
in the course of a maximum of three flights.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

Upon completion of the training flight for the revalidation of an SEP or TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740.A (b)(1) and only in the event of fulfilment of all the other revalidation criteria required by FCL.740.A (b)(1) the instructor shall endorse the applicant’s licence with the new expiry date of the rating or certificate, if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence.

It is implied, and I’m sure we all understand it to mean that the instructor must have flown the training flight, but it isn’t explicitly stated that the instructor must have flown the training flight.

The sentence still makes sense and there are no contradictions or logic problems if one considers a scenario where one instructor flies the training flight and another signs it off.

Poor drafting.

Watertight wording would be “…required by FCL.740.A (b)(1) the instructor giving that training shall endorse…”

I wasn’t getting at the no sanctuary for a dissatisfied (with pilot performance) instructor point. I think the solution there is to take the view that one is not signing to certify competence, one is signing to certify paperwork in order. If that conflicts with your perceived duty of care, then I suppose you can only either not do these flights at all or only do them with pilots you know are competent.

Last Edited by Graham at 03 Jun 14:04
EGLM & EGTN

Dear all, I have a question regarding this topic and in particular regarding the timing.
My SEP rating is valid till 31/08/2019 and I am looking to revalidate it by the “revalidation by experience” route.
If read regs correctly you need 12h “in the 12 months preceding the expiracy date of the rating”.

While I have over 20h in the last 12months (01 JUL 2018 – 01 JUL 2019) I only have 10h48 in the 12 months preceding the expiracy date of the rating (01 SEP 2018 – 31 AUG 2019).

My questions: is my reading correct ? I still need 1h12 to have the required 12h ?
What about the 1h flight with the instructor ? Should it be considered in the “12h requirement” or not ? I do find that rules are particularly clear about this one.
Obviously the safest way is to fly 1h12 before the 1h flight with the instructor, but I wanted to have your views on this…

Last Edited by jfw at 02 Jul 10:28
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

My questions: is my reading correct ? I still need 1h12 to have the required 12h ?

Correct, whatever you fly during the first year doesn’t count.

jfw wrote:

What about the 1h flight with the instructor ? Should it be considered in the “12h requirement” or not ?

The instruction flight does count towards the total, so indeed you could fly 1h12 with an FI and you would meet the requirements.

FCL.740.A(b)

(1) Single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings and TMG ratings. For revalidation of singlepilot single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings or TMG class ratings the applicant shall:
[….]
(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours
of flight time in the relevant class, including:
— 6 hours as PIC,
— 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
— refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI)
or a class rating instructor (CRI). [….]

If you can find a FI who has FCL.945 privileges, he/she can sign your ratings page, saving you a trip to a FE.

EBZW
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks… seems I overlooked the “including”… pretty clear.

Berto wrote:

If you can find a FI who has FCL.945 privileges, he/she can sign your ratings page, saving you a trip to a FE.

Maybe a stubpid question but what sould I undersatnd by “FE” ?

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium
Sign in to add your message