Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

FE = flight examiner

Today I flew with a such rated pilot to extend my SEP despite lacking the 12 hrs in the last 12 months. He signed the revalidation on the license itself, saving me a trip to the Landesluftfahrtbehörde , the issuing agency.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Well done MedEwok! How was the flight with the FE? My first PPL revalidation I had to do a lot of hours very quickly because I wanted to avoid this.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Berto wrote:

(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours
of flight time in the relevant class, including:
— 6 hours as PIC,
— 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
— refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI)
or a class rating instructor (CRI). [….]

just to be sure… that means that I can do the flight with the FI before having the 12h in the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating and have the required additional flights (to have a total of 12h) after the flight with the FI ?

I would say yes… but want to check if someone has another view on this

Last Edited by jfw at 10 Jul 14:33
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Yes, the flight with FI can be done at any point of time during the last 12 months of validity.

ENVA, Norway

As WWW said, yes you can do those 12h in any order. So you could do 1h FI then 11h solo.

However…
The new SEP expiry date will depend on the moment that the FE / 945FI signs the rating page.

If you go for a signature within the last 3 months, the new expiry date will be 2 years from the previous one.
e.g. previous expiry 10/2019, you go for your signature in August, new expiry 10/2021.

If you go for a signature earlier, the rating will be revalidated for a further 2 years from the moment of signature.
e.g. previous expiry 10/2019, you go for your signature in July, new expiry 07/2021.

Don’t have the legal reference handy right now, I’m sure others will confirm.

Last Edited by Berto at 10 Jul 21:09
EBZW

Berto not true in UK at least – you can revalidate by experience in last 12 months any time requirements have been met and rating validity is maintained from the expiry – no such thing as the 3 months for revalidate in by experience

Now retired from forums best wishes

Balliol wrote:

Berto not true in UK at least – you can revalidate by experience in last 12 months any time requirements have been met and rating validity is maintained from the expiry – no such thing as the 3 months for revalidate in by experience

Did this change recently? Or is it only when revalidating by LPC? I certainly remember this 3-month rule being there as recently as 2015.

Last Edited by Berto at 11 Jul 06:43
EBZW

Capitaine wrote:

Well done MedEwok! How was the flight with the FE? My first PPL revalidation I had to do a lot of hours very quickly because I wanted to avoid this

The flight was surprisingly relaxed. By prior arrangement I had planned a flight to the nearest controlled airport (Hannover EDDV) because the FE wanted to see me do a low approach there. EDDV tower refused this due to several arrivals, so we had to change plans and did all of our landings at Hildesheim EDVM. It was a windy day with significant crosswind, so the landings where challenging for me but the FE never had to intervene. Then we did some air work (slow flight, recovering from stall at first indication, PFL at a closed nearby field, 45° banked turns).

All in all I’m satisfied with how I did after only one hour of practice before in the last 9 months, but I’m still well aware of being “rusty” as recently discussed in the “are you rusty?” thread.
Yet the foundation for getting “back into it” has been laid.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Well done MedEwok!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

Yet the foundation for getting “back into it” has been laid.

Good to hear, I whish you lots of great flying :-)

ENVA, Norway
Sign in to add your message