Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

My view, worth what you are paying for it, is that for an instructor signoff to have the required value, the instructor needs to have a FI rating granted under the regulatory regime under which the signoff is required.

That would suggest that an FAA CFI cannot sign off the EASA PPL two-yearly revalidation.

But the above view is complicated for ICAO licenses, under which it is implied that privileges are mutually recognised.

Then it is more complicated by the fact that there is no internationally accepted instructor rating. ICAO defines them but each country (each ICAO contracting state) does its own thing (mainly a protectionist measure IMHO, designed to protect the training business from outside competition).

Then you have the EASA system which seeks to mutually recognise EASA instructors so e.g. a UK CAA license can IMHO be signed off by any EASA instructor, and this is in fact happening, gradually, with e.g. the IR skills tests which can be done by any EASA examiner.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I always thought it had to be an EASA instructor

Nope it wasn’t, and I have that directly from the CAA. May have to call them or find an EASA chap here.

172driver wrote:

does anyone here know if the ‘one-hour-with-an-instructor’ requirement has changed with EASA?

Peter wrote:

for an instructor signoff to have the required value, the instructor needs to have a FI rating granted under the regulatory regime under which the sign-off is required.

IMO, there is a difference between the one-hour training requirement and the signature.

For the revalidation by experience, you need to have had up to three training flights with a FI or CRI totalling at least 1 hour. It shouldn’t matter under which regime the instructor (or the instructors, as a matter of fact) is/are registered.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2701&pagetype=90&pageid=15220

The actual endorsement (“sign-off”) until very recently required a FE but can now (again) also be done by a FI, provided the FI is authorized to do so. There was a thread here a few weeks ago. The person signing-off needs to be registered under the competent authority that governs your license.

IMO, the person signing-off the revalidation does NOT need to be flying with you. This is causing me trouble at the moment: I was trying to get the few UK-CAA certified FEs I know in my area to sign-off my revalidation after I more than fulfill both the hours required and the hour with an instructor. None of them were ready to do so without a revalidation flight. They say: “How can I sign you off if I don’t know your flying proficiency?” and “I’m not the extended bureaucratic arm of the CAA”.

In my view, they are misunderstanding what they are supposed to sign. They are not certifying my flying ability (that would be the case if I had NOT flown my 12 hours or if I had let my rating lapse after 24 months: “proficiency check”) – they’re only certifying that according to my log book, I fulfill the requirements for revalidation by experience. However, I learned that flight examiners are the sort of person that is really hard to argue with. After all, I can’t force them to sign, even if I’m convinced they’re legally allowed to do so.

This is a royal PITA and now I’m going via the CAA, paying > 100 GBP for the online process and still waiting for the newly printed license to arrive in the mail. If it doesn’t by tomorrow, I’m grounded.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Yes; you are right. IMHO the flight can use any ICAO instructor (especially if your CAA says so) and the signature needs (or needed) an Examiner but he/she doesn’t need to have ever flown with you. The Examiner merely needs to see your logbook. Bizzare and pointless!

Interesting that any CAA FI can now do the signature too… Can it be any EASA FI, in any EASA country?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Interesting that any CAA FI can now do the signature too… Can it be any EASA FI, in any EASA country?

This was discussed here:

http://www.euroga.org/forums/instructors/3703-good-news-for-instructors-class-rating-revalidations

AFAIK, it has to be an FI of your competent authority.

I’ve never heard of an examiner refusing to sign the form, and the flight with an instructor is almost never with them.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I’ve never heard of an examiner refusing to sign the form, and the flight with an instructor is almost never with them.

It seems to be common practice in Germany, as everyone I spoke with about this within the local “scene” looked at me odd – as if I was trying to do something real naughty.

Maybe some of those flying under the LBA in Germany can comment on their experience?

The FCL945 privileges for FIs is only for UK authorised FIs to sign UK issued licences – see IN 2015/34.

The ‘instructor hour’ for the revalidation by experience of SEP or TMG rating has to be with an EASA rated FI.

I’m more than happy to sign revalidation a by experience by post if anyone on here is stuck!

Now retired from forums best wishes

I’m more than happy to sign revalidation a by experience by post if anyone on here is stuck!

Great! Might come back to that offer next time! :) This time, it’s now already been sent out to the CAA.

To revive this thread:
I hold a UK issued EASA licence. Reading correctly the FCL 945
FCL.945Obligations for instructors Upon completion of the training flight for the revalidation of an SEP or TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740.A (b)(1) and only in the event of fulfilment of all the other revalidation criteria required by FCL.740.A (b)(1) the instructor shall endorse the applicant’s licence with the new expiry date of the rating or certificate, if specifically authorised for that purpose by the competent authority responsible for the applicant’s licence.

This means the applicant means me (holding a UK issued EASA licence) who wants to re validate by a Belgian (or any other EU country FI) . The (Belgian, or any other EU country) FI needs to seek authorisation by the UK CAA to sign a re validation by experience.
Reading correctly information notice 2015/034 from the UK CAA this request could go through SRG1133
Is this a correct understanding of specifically authorised for that purpose???

Last Edited by Vref at 15 Jul 15:21
EBST
Sign in to add your message